Lack of exercise or physical activity is estimated to cause as many deaths each year as smoking, according to a new study led by investigators at Harvard-affiliated Brigham and Women’s Hospital (BWH).Current guidelines recommend at least 150 minutes a week of moderate-intensity physical activity, or 75 minutes a week of vigorous-intensity aerobic physical activity (or a combination of the two), and muscle-strengthening exercises two or more days a week.The study, which was published Monday in Circulation, investigated women’s physical activity measured over seven days by a wearable device called a triaxial accelerometer, and found that more physical activity and higher intensities of physical activity could decrease the risk of death in older women from any cause. Moderate to vigorous intensity physical activity (e.g., brisk walking) was associated with 60–70 percent lower risk of death at the end of the four-year study among the most active women, compared to the least active.“The fact the physical activity lowers mortality rate is nothing new — we have many studies showing this. However, previous studies have primarily relied on self-reported physical activity, and self-reports tend to be imprecise. Based on these self-report studies, we know that physical activity is associated with a 20–30 percent reduction in mortality rates, comparing the most with the least active. Using device-measured physical activity in the present study, we observed a 60–70 percent risk reduction, larger than previously estimated from self-report studies. For context, nonsmokers have about a 50 percent reduction, compared with smokers,” said Harvard Medical School Professor I-Min Lee, an associate epidemiologist at Brigham and Women’s Hospital and first author of the study.“This study supports current guidelines for physical activity, such as those from the federal government and the American Heart Association, that emphasize moderate-intensity physical activity. It also adds to existing evidence that can inform upcoming physical activity guidelines over time.”This is one of the first studies to investigate physical activity, and a clinical outcome, using the newer-generation triaxial wearable devices, which have increased sensitivity to recognize physical activity and are capable of more precise measurements than the previously used uniaxial devices, or studies relying on self-reports only.“We used devices to better measure not only higher-intensity physical activities, but also lower-intensity activities and sedentary behavior, which has become of great interest in the last few years,” said Lee.Data were analyzed from 16,741 participants (average age 72) from the Women’s Health Study who wore the device for at least 10 hours a day, on at least four out of seven days.Light physical activity, such as slow walking, was not associated with lower death rate during the study. Researchers note that light activity may be beneficial for other health outcomes not reported in this paper. Researchers are continuing this study to examine other health outcomes and to examine details of how much and what kinds of activity are healthful.The study is supported by National Institutes of Health grants CA154647, CA047988, CA182913, HL043851, HL080467, and HL099355.
By Social Communication Office, Brazilian Ministry of Defense September 28, 2016 On September 19th, Brazilian Minister of Defense, Raul Jungmann, gave a positive assessment of the Armed Forces’ activities during the Rio 2016 Olympic and Paralympic Games. “We’ve made it to the end of a cycle of major events that began in 2007, all of which have gone off without a hitch. Brazil and Rio de Janeiro demonstrated their vocation and ability to successfully host major events,” Jungmann stated. During a press conference at the headquarters of the Military Command of the East, the minister highlighted the 13 Olympic medals won by military athletes and the adjustments and improvements made to the Armed Forces’ training centers, which received foreign delegations. “Right here in this room, a few months ago, we made a promise that we would have calm and peaceful Olympic Games. Today, I’m happy to announce that we contributed, along with other agencies, to the Games’ success. The whole world has acknowledged us,” Jungmann said. During 58 days of defense-related activities, 23,000 personnel from the Navy, Army, and Air Force were employed to secure the Rio 2016 Games in the state capital. In the five cities that hosted soccer matches 43,000 men and women worked on the Games. This nationwide effort involved the monitoring, surveillance, and protection of 139 strategic structures. In Rio alone, the Armed Forces ensured the protection of 73 strategic structures. In Rio de Janeiro, there were 12,300 patrols, including maritime, foot, mounted, motorized, and armored vehicles. All told, 26 ships, 3,083 cars, 109 armored vehicles, 51 helicopters, 81 vessels, 80 aircraft, and 370 motorcyles were used. Minister Jungmann pointed out that the Joint Command to Prevent and Combat Terrorism did not ignore a single suspect. “We didn’t overlook a single thing,” he said. In Rio de Janeiro, 49 reports were made, though none represented a single attempt or threat of a terrorist attack. In terms of aerospace defense, the Air Force completed 35 interception missions, eight interrogations, and four missions involving route changes. The Cybernetic Defense Command did not record any relevant incidents during the Games. According to the command, 2,747 information assets and 805 sites were monitored. Even before the Games began, the Army had completed several operations to inspect explosives and related items. Most of the incidents involved inconsistently transporting and documenting the products. Forty-six tons of explosives, 20.5 tons of ammonium nitrate, 21,500 fuses, and 147,000 meters of det cord were seized. According to the minister, the Games’ legacy also includes greater integration among public safety agencies and the Armed Forces, ensuring greater interoperability, new training, and other enhancements. In his explanation, Jungmann announced an athletic integration program for service members with disabilities, named “João do Pulo.” Regarding the request from the acting Governor of Rio de Janeiro, Francisco Dornelles, that the Armed Forces continue working a while longer on security measures in the city, Minister Jungmann said that Brazilian President Michel Temer was expected to consider the request in the next few days. “We are able to contribute our intelligence, training, logistics, and equipment. However, the Armed Forces cannot replace the role of public safety,” Jungmann added. At the end of the presentation of results, Jungmann spoke about the Armed Forces’ next mission, when they will be employed during the 2016 municipal elections on October 2nd and 30th. “Duly authorized by the President of Brazil, the Armed Forces are going to ensure fair voting and tallying in seven states, with military troops in 107 cities,” the minister said.
Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York When a 9-year-old girl tried to call 911 to report that her father allegedly ambushed her mother in December, she couldn’t get through because their hotel required guests to dial “9” first.Brad Dunn was later charged with the murder of his estranged wife, Kari Hunt Dunn, in the Texas case that sparked a reexamination of security protocol in the hotel and tourism industry. Kari’s family joined Suffolk County lawmakers and supporters backing legislation that would require hotels and motels to update their phone systems to allow direct calls to police.“She followed the instructions and she did not get help,” Hank Hunt, the victim’s father, told reporters Thursday during a news conference on Long Island. He wondered aloud if things could have turned out differently if one of his granddaughter’s four calls went through.Suffolk Legis. Robert Trotta (R-Fort Solanga) and Legis. Steve Stern (D-Dix Hills) proposed the bill, which passed the Public Safety Committee and will be subject of a public hearing at the legislature Tuesday. The proposal is among the first in the nation addressing the issue.“We expect this [bill] to spread across the state and across the country,” said Trotta.Hunt started a petition with more than 450,000 supporters on Change.org calling on Congress to pass “Kari’s Law,” proposed by U.S. Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-Texas). Federal Communications Commission launched an inquiry into the multi-line phone system used in hotels and motels. And the American Hotel and Lodging Association (AHALA) polled its members on how guests reach help by dialing 911.“The results came back pretty dismal,” said Hunt. The survey found that guests reach emergency services if they dial 911 without an access code in only 44.5 percent of franchise hotels and 32 percent of independent hotels.“We want those rules to be the same across every state line,” said Hunt. “If you dial 911 from any phone, you’re going to get help.”John Tsunis, chairman of New York State Hospitality and Tourism Association, agreed.“Can you imagine picking up a phone, desperate for emergency services, and dialing 911 and not being able to reach help,” he said. “Parents teach their kids to dial 911 in an emergency so it’s an important initiative that we drop the nine.”The modification of phone systems has already made its way to the Holiday Inn Express in Stony Brook, where the press conference was held. It took only a day to install a new program for the communication service, Tsunis said.Without such upgrades, the AHALA poll found that hotel guests have a one-in-three shot of dialing 911 and connecting to a dispatcher. Hunt hopes to turn the tragedy into an opportunity to create change that saves lives.“I’m not doing it for Kari, but on behalf of her and any other people who have been affected by this problem,” concluded Hunt. “I would be somewhat relieved on my part that she didn’t die in vain.”