We propose four measures of allocation to sexual reproduction in mosses, and apply these to data obtained from 15 species found fruiting on Signy Island, South Orkney Islands, in the maritime Antarctic. Spore counts and size measurements are reported for each species. Larger spore sizes in most short-lived species suggest that spores may have an important role in local colonisation. Five species with small spore dimensions, high counts and wide Antarctic distributions are identified as potential long-distance colonists. Investment in sexual reproduction is estimated using two measures (the ratio of sporophyte to gametophyte dry weight, and the investment in spores as a proportion of total shoot dry weight). Both measures show that investment by annual and short-lived species is greater than that found in most perennial species. The same short-lived species also show a much stronger relationship between the sporophyte and gametophyte dry weights of individual shoots in regression analyses. The short-lived species examined in this study may be classified as annual or short-lived shuttle species (sensu During). Their reproductive behaviour largely agrees with the predictions of life history models, and they may be described as ruderal (sensu Grime) or r-selected. However, their production of relatively few large spores is at variance with the predictions of these models. The sexual behaviour of longer-lived species agrees less well with theoretical predictions, with some showing surprisingly large levels of investment, although others can be described as a-selected (sensu Greenslade) or stress tolerators (sensu Grime), with much lower investment in sexual reproduction.
8SHARESShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr Home Depot filed a lawsuit this week against Visa and MasterCard over the use of chip cards, which it says does not go far enough to prevent fraud. In the lawsuit, according to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Home Depot accused the card companies of trying to block the use of PINs in favor of less-secure methods.The lawsuit claims that by blocking the use of PINs, Visa and MasterCard are pushing merchants toward less-secure transactions that generate higher fees.“Credit unions and banks have shouldered millions in costs from Home Depot’s data breach in 2014,” said Lance Noggle, senior director of advocacy at CUNA. “Home Depot should be concerned about the cost to consumers of their lax data security practices that have harmed many consumers by allowing criminals access their customers’ personal information instead of worrying about fraud costs from debit cards, which credit unions and banks are responsible for paying.”Despite Home Depot’s claims, Visa’s data shows a 40% decline in counterfeit rates at merchants who have enabled chip card transactions. continue reading »
“Well, I’m sorry to tell you,everybody dies in this world but you will go ahead first. Remember that,” saidDuterte./PN ILOILO City – Seven policemen inWestern Visayas are suspected to be recycling shabu confiscated in anti-illegaldrug operations. Pamuspusan declined to name the sevenpolicemen or pinpoint where they are assigned. “So we are left with seven, all stillin active service,” said Pamuspusan. The President himself will identifythe 762 “ninja cops” in his list after his visit to Russia; he returns on Oct. 6. “We admit it is hard for us to pinthem down because we have no evidence. We need to catch these erring copsred-handed,” said Pamuspusan. Previously, he said, there were 33suspected “ninja cops” in the region but some already retired, died, went AWOL(absent without official leave), or were reassigned to other regions. Pamuspusan said the PRO-6’sintelligence division is monitoring the movement of the seven policemen. The names of the policemen appeared inPresident Rodrigo Duterte’s list of these so-called “ninja cops”, according toPolice Brigadier General Rene Pamuspusan, director of the Police RegionalOffice 6 (PRO-6). In a speech in Parañaque City on Sept.25, Duterte slammed policemen who “sell drugs and go scot-free, and they thinkthey are the lords of this country.”
His children announce the passing of William E. (Bill) Holzer, born in the St. Magdalene community near New Marion on January 24, 1930 the son of Clem and Josephine Kieffer Holzer. He passed away June 23rd in Yuma, Arizona after a lengthy and brave battle with cancer.Bill is preceded in death by wives Lois (Kelley) Holzer and Betty (Stickelman) Holzer. He’s survived by his children: Terry Guernsey & Karen Lally, Jerry & Carolyn Guernsey, William Anthony (Tony) & Candy Holzer, Robert & Peggy Holzer, Donna Holzer Durbin & Steve Durbin, David & Donna Holzer and Steve Holzer, as well as Betty’s daughters Patricia Morrow and Johnetta Huesman. His surviving siblings are sister Mary (Holzer) Roll and brother William Anthony (Tony) Holzer. Additionally, he is survived by a total of 15 grandchildren, 25 great-grandchildren and one great-great grandchild.Bill served proudly in the Korean War. He was a civilian gunner for the United States Army at Jefferson Proving Ground in Madison, Indiana, before transferring to Yuma Proving Ground at Yuma, Arizona in December 1972. He worked there until his retirement in 1990. Bill was a member of the Knights of Columbus and the American Legion. He attended both St. Francis of Assisi Catholic Church and later, St. John Neumann Parish in the Foothills.According to his wishes, on Saturday, June 30 there will be a viewing at Stratton-Karsteter Funeral Home in Versailles beginning at 9am followed by Rosary services at 10:20am. Mass of Christian Burial will be held on Saturday at 11am at St. John’s Catholic Church in Osgood. Bill will be cremated and his remains buried beside his wife, Lois. Friends are welcome to join his family in a graveside service at Saint Magdalene Catholic Cemetery in Madison on Tuesday, July 3rd at 10am. Military graveside rites will be conducted by the Versailles American Legion. In lieu of flowers, his children ask that donations be made in his name to the American Cancer Society or the St. Magdalene Cemetery in care of the funeral home.
It paints a picture of “relentless revenue growth” with the record-breaking 2016-19 broadcasting revenue deal, which secured a 50 percent rise to 8.3 billion pounds, further improving finances.Over the three-year broadcasting rights cycle to 2015/16, the report said combined operating profits topped 1.6 billion pounds – more than the total over the previous 16 seasons combined.“The Premier League continues to power ahead of the other four big European leagues, particularly with regard to broadcast revenues, as has been the case for well over a decade now,” the report said.Although wages are soaring, up 12 percent to 2.3 billion pounds as clubs anticipated expected income from the latest lucrative broadcasting deal, the report said there was evidence of a more prudent approach with just 44 percent of revenue increases being spent on wages since 2012/13, compared with 99 percent in the five years before that.While Leicester City won the Premier League despite being ranked 15th by wage costs, and Chelsea finished eight places lower than their ranking, the report said the subsequent 2016/17 season showed a “stronger correlation between wage costs and league position”, with the division’s top six wage spenders in 2015/16 filling the top six wage positions in 2016/17.The report also revealed the price for those chasing a share of Premier League riches, with Championship clubs spending more on wages than revenue for the third time in four seasons.The second-tier clubs recorded a record combined operating loss of 261 million pounds with net debt rising to 1.3 billion pounds as owners continued to gamble on reaching the Premier League.The report’s editor, Dan Jones, predicted Premier League revenues topping 4.5 billion pounds by 2017-18, a confident assessment in contrast with another report published on Monday by financial analysts Vysyble which warned of dangerous levels of over-spending and said clubs were not meeting rising costs of transfers and wages.Clubs are on course to break their transfer spending record this summer. The Sportingintelligence website this week said that Premier League clubs had spent 571 million in transfers since the start of the month, making it the fifth biggest window ever, with 52 days remaining until it ends.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram The Premier League’s reputation as richest in the world was reinforced by an annual football finance report which showed record revenue of 3.6 billion pounds ($4.63 billion) in 2015/16, a 9 percent jump on the previous season.Across all four divisions, the 92 clubs generated 4.4 billion pounds, another record, with new highs in spending, profits and tax also being recorded by the 26th edition of Deloitte’s Annual Review of Football Finance published wednesday.
The USC Interfraternity Council and Panhellenic Council presented a check for more than $12,000 to the Dept. of Public Safety’s Explorer Program on Thursday night. The program allows at-risk youth ages 12 through 21 to explore careers in law enforcement and public service.The donation, raised during the Greek Carnival put on by IFC and Panhellenic in the fall, will provide funds for participants in the Explorer Program to go to leadership camps in the summer and gain other skills through the program.“We’re truly excited,” said Deputy Chief Johnnie Adams, who heads the Explorer Program. “[This donation] gives us the opportunity to grow our program because the more funds we have, the more we can do. We can do more outreach and have more kids join the program.”Each fraternity and sorority chapter donated money to the carnival, and IFC and Panhellenic reached out to the Undergraduate Student Government and nearby businesses to sponsor the event. Last fall was the first time the Greek system held the carnival, and it has plans to continue the philanthropy.“It was just a natural partnership pairing up with DPS and the Explorer Program because they do so much for us as a Greek community, whether it be education or keeping us safe on The Row,” Panhellenic President Caroline Cannan said. “We’re looking forward to the next few years and expanding the event and making it even more successful.”DPS Chief John Thomas called the Greek system DPS’s most consistent supporter in his nine years working for the university. The groups have collaborated more in recent years, and now, IFC and Panhellenic have weekly meetings with Adams.IFC President Jake Simon commented on the growing relationship between the members in the Greek system and DPS.“Over the last year, the relationship between DPS, IFC and Panhellenic has been growing to an amazing degree,” Simon said. “We have a lot of dialogue, which helps us stay safer as a community.”Ryan Lopez, a freshman majoring in chemistry, is serving his third year as a cadet with the program. He is also the post commander, tasked with overseeing the cadets and making sure that enough people are working at events.“My experience with the cadet program has been an incredible one,” Lopez said. “Being a kid from the neighborhood, it’s given me a chance to explore something that I really didn’t think I’d like. It’s given me an opportunity to be exposed to more of a college atmosphere and develop relationships with the people on campus.”Sergeant Rick Gonzalez was also part of a cadet program before he came to work at USC, where he has headed the program for the past 10 years. His favorite memory of the Explorer Program is when USC hired 15 out of 20 cadets from the local community after they went through training.“When I was a cadet, what helped me was that I was able to interact with someone who was just like me from the neighborhood,” Gonzalez said. “Having somebody at that young age walk you through the process of becoming a law enforcement officer is really beneficial.”Adams explained that Thomas has promoted community engagement throughout his time at USC and that DPS has a goal to reach out to the nearby community as a Trojan family. In the future, DPS hopes to have its cadets more engaged with the campus and serve more actively alongside DPS in promoting public safety.“[The donation] is really great because it shows the kids that the community cares about them,” Gonzalez said. “Not only does our department care if they’re successful, but it’s the USC community that is also contributing.”
Legon Cities FC striker, Sadick Sule, has laid down a strong warning to Asante Kotoko ahead of their Week 2 Ghana Premier League clash on Friday at the Accra Sports Stadium.Sule has boldly declared that he will score two goals against the Porcupine Warriors in the first meeting of the two teams this season.Sule and his team grabbed a 2-2 draw against Liberty Professionals in Dansoman in the opening round of the league season and Sule is hoping that they will get their first victory of the season and that feat will be powered by two goals from him.“I am very confident and on Friday I will score two goals against Kotoko God willing. It is something I have planned to do I believe we will take the 3 points.Going up against Kotoko is no big deal for us because we are footballers just like that are. We are well prepared to take all the points at the Accra Sports Stadium so we are not worried at all. We know who they are but we also believe in our capabilities.”The match is the first non-weekend league game of the season and it is the first of three matches at the Accra Sports Stadium in Week 2 with the other two being Inter Allies vs Bechem United on Saturday and Great Olympics vs Aduana Stars on Sunday.Legon Cities FC lie 10th on the league table with a point while Kotoko are 6th with 3 points.
Black Stars Captain Asamoah Gyan remains focused on performing for Ghana at the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations despite the recent misfortune that hit his family.The Al-Ain striker arrived on Friday morning in Accra together with his senior brothers Baffour and Opoku to mourn with the rest of the family on the passing of their mother Madam Cecilia Love Amoako at the Ridge Hospital on Tuesday.Gyan who was in a sober mood said he had accepted the demise of his mother as part of life even though it was tough to accept.“It is a big shock as everybody knows but in life you need to experience bitterness not always expecting happiness. When I heard the news it was strange to me and a shock. But as a footballer you dont go on to the pitch with your emotions and will concentrate on my career and even scored two goals in yesterday for my club which tells you how strong I am. I am close to my mum and was coming to celebrate her birth today but am focused to deliver in AFCON 2013”. He told JOY SportsGyan’s mother would have turned 61 today. The strike has been excused from Tuesday’s international friendly against Cape Verde in Lisbon, Portugal.