Hong Kong govt warns removing US special status is “double-edged sword”

first_imgHong Kong’s government warned Washington that withdrawing its special US status, which has underpinned the city as a global financial hub, could be a “double-edged sword” and urged the United States to stop interfering in internal affairs.The statement came as US President Donald Trump is due to announce later on Friday his response to the Chinese parliament’s advancement of national security legislation for Hong Kong, which democracy activists and Western countries fear could erode the city’s freedoms.The former British colony enjoys a high degree of autonomy under a “one country, two systems” formula since it returned to Chinese rule in 1997. The US Department of State said in a report on Thursday it could “no longer certify that Hong Kong continues to warrant [differential] treatment” from Beijing.Trump’s top economic adviser Larry Kudlow warned that Hong Kong, which has enjoyed special privileges under US law based on its high degree of autonomy from Beijing, may now need to be treated like China on trade and other financial matters.In a separate statement on Friday, published in several local newspapers, Hong Kong leader Carrie Lam urged “fellow citizens” to “join hands to pursue our dreams while putting aside our differences”.She said the legislation was needed because of a “terrorist threat” and because organizations advocating “independence and self-determination” have challenged the authority of Beijing and local governments and pleaded for foreign interference.The five demands of last-year’s pro-democracy protest movement included universal suffrage and an independent inquiry into police handling of the protests, but not independence. A minority of protesters waved “Hong Kong independence” flags.Independence is anathema for Beijing.The security legislation, along with a bill to criminalize disrespect for China’s national anthem, are seen by protesters as the latest attempt by Beijing to tighten its control on the city.The security legislation, expected to be enacted before September, was condemned also by Britain, Australia, Canada and others. Britain said it will give greater visa rights to British national overseas passport holders from Hong Kong unless China suspends its plans. Topics :center_img “Any sanctions are a double-edged sword that will not only harm the interests of Hong Kong but also significantly those of the US,” the city’s government said late on Thursday.It added that from 2009 to 2018, the US trade surplus with Hong Kong was the biggest among all its trading partners, totaling $297 billion of merchandise and 1,300 US firms are based in the city.Beijing says the new legislation will tackle secession, subversion, terrorism and foreign interference in the city. It could see Chinese intelligence agencies set up bases there.The plan has ignited the first big protests in Hong Kong for months, as thousands of people took to the streets this week, prompting police to fire pepper pellets in the heart of the city’s financial district to disperse crowds.last_img read more

Man guilty of murdering Arsenal fan as he travelled to first Emirates match

first_imgMr Daniel, 20, had been a talented athlete and photographer (Picture: PA)The court heard how Mr Daniel, who trained at Hillingdon Athletic Club, had been ‘excited’ to watch Arsenal play for the last time and had kissed his dad Chandy, 59, goodbye at 3.30pm on September 24 last year.Within an hour, his father witnessed paramedics battling to save his son’s life on the platform, before being told there was nothing more they could do.Mr Rees told jurors that Mr Daniel did not know his attackers, who had been on the opposite platform going the other way. He said Lanning had been ‘looking for trouble from almost the moment he walked onto the westbound platform’.The catalyst appeared to be that Lanning thought Mr Daniels was ‘looking at him across the rail tracks’, the court heard. Mr Rees suggested it was Lanning who had been ‘gesturing in a fashion that suggests a challenge’ to Mr Daniel and his friend. Jonathan Camille, 19, was cleared of murder but found guilty of manslaughter (Picture: PA)The defendants then changed platforms to confront the pair and ‘violence erupted’, in which Mr Daniel was stabbed by Lanning, jurors were told. Lanning had a previous conviction for wounding a man with a knife in Brighton dating back to July 2016, as well as for having 250 wraps of heroin, the court heard.He had been released half way through a four-year sentence in 2018 and was on licence for those offences at the time he killed Mr Daniel.After his arreest, Camille claimed he and Lanning had crossed platforms after the latter told him the two boys had been abusive to him. He went on to claim that he started to speak to the pair but was ‘pushed’ by Mr Campbell, causing him to act in self-defence. Sign Up for News UpdatesGet your need-to-know latest news, feel-good stories, analysis and moreSign upNot convinced? Find out more » Advertisement Man guilty of murdering Arsenal fan as he travelled to first Emirates match Lanning was found guilty of murder by the jury (Picture: PA) Alex Lanning, 22, (left) stabbed Tashan Daniel, 20, to death at Hillingdon Station (Picture: PA)Two men have been found guilty of stabbing a talented athlete to death while he was on his way to an Arsenal match.Tashan Daniel, 20, had been waiting for a train at Hillingdon Station, in west London, when Alex Lanning, 22, and Jonathan Camille, 19, changed platforms to provoke him and his friend Treyone Campbell. Lanning then stabbed Mr Daniel in the chest in what prosecutor Jonathan Rees described as a ‘senseless killing’, the Old Bailey heard. He was already on licence for a previous stabbing in Brighton at the time, but denied he had meant to seriously harm Mr Daniel, claiming it was an ‘accident’.AdvertisementAdvertisementToday the jury found Lanning, from Hillingdon, guilty of murder, while Camille, 19, was cleared of murder but found guilty of manslaughter. Both men were remanded into custody to be sentenced on August 20.ADVERTISEMENT The defendants had crossed the platform to attack their victim (Picture: PA)Mr Rees argued against Camille’s claims, stating that both defendants were ‘in it together to inflict damage on the opposition’. Mr Daniel’s family reacted with tearful joy as the guilty verdicts were delivered. Speaking outside court, Chandy said his son was a ‘fantastic human being’ with ‘so much potential and so much to give’.Scotland outlines tier system as millions face new restrictions across UKHe continued: ‘That life, that prospect, that future, was cruelly and needlessly taken away on the afternoon of September 24 2019. On that day a man, who let’s not forget, already held a conviction for stabbing someone else, was free to walk around with a murderous weapon in his possession.AdvertisementAdvertisement‘That same convicted criminal was able to choose to cross a bridge and a platform for absolutely no reason to confront our innocent son. It is in no doubt, nor has it ever been, that this was a senseless, needless, horrific and ultimately unnecessary act of violence. One that our family shall be paying for for the rest of our lives.’Describing the last moments of his son’s life, he said: ‘As parents, we had to watch in disbelief as the paramedics worked on our son’s lifeless body on that platform at Hillingdon – a platform which we will never feel able to use again.‘I held him, stroked his face, and kissed him, as he lay on that platform, only to be told by the paramedics that there was nothing more that they could do for him.‘My wife – his mother – collapsed at the news, unable to comprehend what was happening to our darling boy.’Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at [email protected] more stories like this, check our news page. Advertisement View 3 comments Lucy MiddletonThursday 6 Aug 2020 11:25 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link737Shareslast_img read more

USBWA names Fair to All-America 2nd team

first_imgSyracuse forward C.J. Fair, who was named a first-team All-Atlantic Coast Conference selection on Monday, was voted a second-team All-American by the United States Basketball Writers Association on Wednesday.The senior is joined by former Brewster (Mass.) Academy teammate and current Iowa State forward Melvin Ejim on the team, as well as Cincinnati guard Sean Kilpatrick, Wichita State forward Cleanthony Early and Kansas forward Andrew Wiggins, on the second team.Arizona guard Nick Johnson, Connecticut guard Shabazz Napier, Louisville guard Russ Smith, Duke forward Jabari Parker and Creighton forward Doug McDermott make up the United States Basketball Writers Association (USBWA) first team. The USBWA does not name a third team.Fair’s selection to the USBWA All-American team comes just two days after being left off any of Sporting News’ three All-America teams. Three other ACC players, including Parker, were named to those teams. North Carolina State forward T.J. Warren and North Carolina guard Marcus Paige were the two others. Both also joined Fair on the All-ACC first team.Fair’s 16.9 points per game ranked seventh in the ACC — but outside the top 100 nationally — and his 6.2 rebounds were tied for 16th most in the conference.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textThe small forward is also one of 10 finalists for the Senior CLASS Award, which earns him recognition as a Senior All-American.The Associated Press and the National Association of Basketball Coaches will announce their All-American teams in the coming weeks. Comments Published on March 12, 2014 at 3:43 pm Contact David: [email protected] | @DBWilson2 Facebook Twitter Google+last_img read more