Vickery stuns the tennis world

first_img… dumps defending champ Lauren Davis from ASB ClassicDEFENDING ASB Classic champion Lauren Davis has been dumped out of this year’s event, humiliated 6-1, 6-2 by the unheralded Sachia Vickery.Having muscled her way through the qualifying rounds, the 22-year-old Vickery made easy work of her American compatriot, winning in just over an hour.Davis, ranked 48 in the World as of January 2018, and who made a name for herself in Auckland last year with her tenacious style and grit, was merely going through the motions by the end of the match.She managed to win just 41 per cent of service points – including just 19 per cent of her second-serve points – and was visibly frustrated with herself. The 24-year-old lashed out in irritation on multiple occasions.Vickery, meanwhile, was far from perfect but nailed more than 60 per cent of her first serves and capitalised ruthlessly on Davis’s implosion.The Florida-based world No.122 will face Veronica Cepede Royg next, following the Paraguayan ace’s 6-3, 6-3 demolition of Spaniard Lara Arruabarrena. The victor is then likely to play Agnieszka Radwanska.“Honestly, me coming through qualifiers, maybe I had a slight advantage because I’d already played a few matches and this is her first,” Vickery said.She added, “Sometimes it’s not such a bad thing, to go through qualifiers. I’m just taking it match by match – I’ve been playing well, I like the courts here and the atmosphere, so I’m just going to keep on playing and fighting.”Vickery defeated Pole Magdalena Frech, Swiss player Conny Perrin and Italian Deborah Chiesa on the way to this week’s Classic main draw.Davis, meanwhile, has won just 10 matches since the start of April.Sachia Vickery, despite not being born in Guyana, would let the world know that her heart belongs to the homeland of her parents Rawle Vickery and Paula Liverpool, and she showed many that she belongs in tennis and isn’t going anywhere.last_img read more

Shaquem Griffin, Paul Richardson among Seahawks cuts

first_img Associated Press Television News Written By SUBSCRIBE TO US COMMENT Last Updated: 6th September, 2020 07:57 IST Shaquem Griffin, Paul Richardson Among Seahawks Cuts The Seattle Seahawks released linebacker/defensive end Shaquem Griffin and terminated the contract of veteran wide receiver Paul Richardson among their cuts on Saturday to reach the 53-man roster limit LIVE TVcenter_img WATCH US LIVE First Published: 6th September, 2020 07:57 IST The Seattle Seahawks released linebacker/defensive end Shaquem Griffin and terminated the contract of veteran wide receiver Paul Richardson among their cuts on Saturday to reach the 53-man roster limit.Griffin and Richardson were the most notable among Seattle’s cuts, although if previous years is an indicator, the Seahawks will likely be active over the next day in finalizing their roster for Week 1 when they face Atlanta.Griffin is one of the feel-good stories in the NFL in recent seasons and become an inspiration for many. He was drafted by Seattle in 2018 joining his twin brother Shaquill, and made the roster the past two seasons, despite having lost his left hand as a child.Griffin was a major contributor on special teams during his first two seasons in Seattle, but finding a consistent role on defense has been difficult. He started the first game of his career two years ago in Denver at outside linebacker, but struggled with defending bigger tight ends at the position.Griffin transitioned into more of a pass rusher midway through last season as Seattle hoped to use his speed off the edge against slower offensive linemen. Griffin had the only sack of his career in Seattle’s playoff loss to Green Bay.Seattle defensive coordinator Ken Norton Jr. said recently that Griffin was the backup at strongside linebacker. But the additions of Bruce Irvin and rookie first-round pick Jordyn Brooks to a talented linebacker group may have squeezed out Griffin.Richardson signed with Seattle last week but was never able to participate in a full practice. Richardson was a second-round pick of the Seahawks in 2014 and spent his first four seasons in the NFL with Seattle, capped with a career-high 44 catches and six touchdowns in the 2017 season. He signed with Washington before the 2018 season, but lasted just two years and appeared in just 17 games.Seattle also terminated the contract of fullback Nick Bellore, although last year Bellore was let go on cut day and later re-signed.Other notable players released by Seattle include former sixth-round draft pick defensive tackle Demarcus Christmas, wide receivers Perry Hart and Cody Thompson, 2019 seventh-round pick Stephen Sullivan and quarterback Danny Etling and Anthony Gordon. The release of both quarterbacks leaves Geno Smith as the only backup to Russell Wilson on the roster.As expected, the Seahawks kept running back Rashaad Penny on the physically unable to perform list while he continues to recover from a torn ACL late last season. Rookies Darrell Taylor and Colby Parkinson, and D.J. Reed were placed on the non-football injury list. Offensive lineman Kyle Fuller was placed on the suspended list and will miss the first two games of the season after being suspended for violating the NFL’s substance abuse policy.Image credits: AP FOLLOW USlast_img read more

Kwesi Nyantakyi meets President Mills today

first_imgNewly elected CAF Executive Committee member Kwesi Nyantakyi will meet President Mills at the Castle this afternoon to thank him for government’s support for his bid.Joy Sports sources say the two will discuss among other things, Nyantakyi’s new role and how that will impact on Ghana Football.The two are also expected to discuss national team issues including the Black Stars Nations Cup qualifier to be played later this month.The meeting is expected to improve the relationship between government and the GFA.New sports Minister, Kofi Humado will be at the meeting.In an unrelated issue Aduana Stars have denied the alleged knife attack by their Coach Herbert Addo on a fan after Wednesday’s disappointing draw with Liberty Professionals. This follows investigations conducted by officials of the club.Management of Aduana Stars says there is no proof that a supporter was chased by the Local Black Stars coach with a knife.Source: Joy Sports/Ghanalast_img read more