There were five wins for Jamaican athletes at the Jamaica International Invitational (JII) meet at the National Stadium on Saturday night, with the Stephen Francis-coached Janieve Russell and Elaine Thompson leading the way with big wins, while there were also wins for Kemar Bailey-Cole, Asafa Powell, and Javon Francis.There were also top-three finishes for Jamaican females Anneisha McLaughlin-Whilby, Novlene Williams-Mills, Danielle Williams, and Stephenie-Ann McPherson.A finalist in the women’s 400 metres hurdles at last year’s World Championships in Beijing, China, Russell ran a well-controlled race and hit top form in the latter stages to get by early leader Leah Nugent of the United States, to win in a personal best of 54.61 seconds, the second-fastest time this season. Ristananna Tracey finished strongly for second in a season best 55.31 seconds, while Nugent was third in 56.24.”I am feeling extremely happy after my performance, knowing that I did a PR so early in the season, and this has set the tone for the rest of the season. (The) fast time was not on my mind as I ran to the instructions of my coach, to take it easy, as I went out a bit slow and finished strong at the end as the objective was to finish among the top three, and this is telling me and Jamaica that something special will happen this year as for the first time, I am running injury-free early, and I am very excited,” said Russell.Thompson, the World Championships 200m silver medallist, defended her JII 100m title with a big performance, clocking a wind-aided 10.71 seconds (+2.4 metres per second wind reading). American English Gardner was second in 10.85 seconds, with third going to Trinidad and Tobago, Michelle Lee-Ahye, in 10.98 seconds.Defending champion Shaunae Miller of The Bahamas, the world leader in the women’s 400m, cantered away from rivals to win the 200m in 22.14 seconds (+2.2 mps), with McLaughlin-Whilby second in 22.70, and the United States’ Shalonda Solomon third in 22.80 seconds.NO START FOR SHELLYJamaica’s World and Olympic champion, Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce who was expected to compete, did not start in the event.Billed as the female race of the meet, the women’s 400 did not disappoint. It was close going all the way before 2014 winner and last year’s second-place finisher Francena McCorory of the United States won in 50.52 ahead of Williams-Mills, 50.87, while McPherson placed third in 51.20.Competing in her first race at home since winning the 100m hurdles World title a year ago, Williams, in a blanket finish, was nipped for third in 12.55 seconds. The United States pair of Brianna Rollins, 12.52 and Queen Harrison (12.54) took first and second, respectively.Among the men, Bailey-Cole, who was missing from the track most of last year due to injury, won a close 100m in 10.01 seconds. The United States’ Mike Rodgers was second in 10.03, with local Julian Forte third in 10.06.”I am happy going into the Trials this year as I didn’t have a win on my mind as I just came out to see where I am because of the hamstring injury I had, but definitely, this win has really boosted my confidence for the remainder of the season,” said Bailey-Cole.Powell led from the start and took the men’s 200 metres in 20.45 seconds.Beejay Lee of the United States was second in 20.52, the same time done by third-place Jamaican Rasheed Dwyer.Francis closed the show by winning the men’s 400m in a season best 44.85 seconds, getting the better of Vernon Norwood of the United States (45.00) and Kevin Borlee of Belgium, 45.17.Earlier, there was a vintage performance from World Junior 400m hurdles champion Jaheel Hyde. He upstaged his more senior rivals, only to be edged out by Bahamian Jeffrey Gibson (48.96).Hyde clocked a season best 49.16 seconds, with experienced American Bershawn Jackson third in 49.29 seconds.- R. G.
DANA POINT — Don’t fall.That’s what was racing through Matt Larmand’s mind as he hovered his drone over a group of hydrofoilers who were zooming around off Capistrano Beach in Dana Point Wednesday evening, Aug. 21, likely unaware they had great white sharks lingering within feet of them.Larmand was about a quarter-mile away, so he couldn’t warn the group about the sharks nearby. AdChoices广告And he couldn’t scream out when one of the riders fell into the water just feet from one of the …
Namajunas snatches 115-pound title at UFC 217 Read Next QC cops nab robbery gang leader, cohort Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles01:37Protesters burn down Iran consulate in Najaf01:47Panelo casts doubts on Robredo’s drug war ‘discoveries’01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games Stronger peso trims PH debt value to P7.9 trillion MOST READ TJ Dillashaw punches Cody Garbrandt during a bantamweight title at UFC 217. APNEW YORK — T.J. Dillashaw dropped undefeated Cody Garbrandt with a right and finished him off in the second round to win the 135-pound championship at UFC 217 Saturday (Sunday Manila time).Dillashaw (15-3) was rocked in the first round and stumbled to his stool when he took a shot to the face to end the first. Garbrandt, predicted by many as UFC’s next big star, even ducked under Dillashaw’s left leg as he kicked and did a little dance to the delight of the crowd.ADVERTISEMENT John Lloyd Cruz a dashing guest at Vhong Navarro’s wedding CPP denies ‘Ka Diego’ arrest caused ‘mass panic’ among S. Tagalog NPA Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH LATEST STORIES Kammuri turning to super typhoon less likely but possible — Pagasa Japan ex-PM Nakasone who boosted ties with US dies at 101 Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. But Dillashaw stunned Garbrandt with a high left kick to the head and then a right hook that corkscrewed Garbrandt’s body and effectively ended the bout. UFC President Dana White strapped the belt around Dillashaw’s waist as the new bantamweight champ.“No Love” Garbrandt (11-1) earned one of the loudest ovations of the night when he was shown on the screen walking into MSG. He walked out having lost his shot at taking the next step as UFC’s hopeful breakout star.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSSEA Games: Philippines picks up 1st win in men’s water poloSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutDillashaw won the bantamweight title in 2014 and had two successful defenses before he lost the belt to Dominick Cruz in 2016. View comments
About the authorAnsser SadiqShare the loveHave your say Fulham’s Chambers enjoying central midfield roleby Ansser Sadiq10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveCalum Chambers is enjoying his time at Fulham, despite a disappointing result against West Ham United.In the game where Claudio Ranieri’s men were beaten 2-0 by West Ham United, Chambers was getting used to a new role in central midfield.And despite the result, the youngster admits that he enjoyed his time in central midfield and would be happy to continue there.He said to the Evening Standard: “I’m enjoying it, obviously it’s nicer if we get a win, but I’m doing what I can for the team defensively and going forward. I’m learning game by game in that position.”At the moment I don’t know whether I’ll go back to defence or stay in midfield. I’m taking on what I’ve been told to do in there and trying to execute it in the games.”Chambers is on loan at Fulham from Arsenal. He has appeared in 11 Premier League games this season.
After the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles concluded its investigation of car purchases made by Ohio State athletes and found that all purchases were legitimate, OSU has canceled its own investigation. According to the BMV’s 65-page report released Tuesday, which examined purchases from the Jack Maxton Chevrolet and Auto Direct dealerships in Columbus, there was “no evidence” to suggest wrongdoing by the dealerships or OSU players. “In light of the report from the BMV and an examination done by the Ohio Independent Automobile Dealers Association, we have seen no evidence that would lead us to believe that Ohio State student athletes violated any policies when purchasing used cars,” OSU spokesman Jim Lynch wrote in an email to The Lantern. “Therefore, we will not be conducting an independent examination outside of what has already been done by these parties.” The report cited that all 25 transactions were legitimate; however, no OSU officials were referenced in the BMV report. In a separate investigation released Tuesday, James R. Mitchell, the executive director of Ohio Independent Automobile Dealers Association, said that each of the 25 cars in question were sold at “fair market value.” “It is my professional opinion in regards to the sales transactions regarding (OSU) student athletes and their family members that there was no preferential treatment,” he wrote in a letter. The BMV’s investigation found that the automobile titles for the cars in question accurately reflected the actual purchase prices of the cars. The report also said there was no evidence of players providing memorabilia or tickets to the dealerships in place of cash. The Columbus Dispatch originally reported OSU’s plan to investigate car sales on May 7. Terrelle Pryor, who was connected to the use of at least six different cars during his time at OSU, departed the university on June 7 to pursue an NFL career. Thomas Bradley contributed to this story.
Ohio State’s game against Purdue on Saturday appeared to be over. With the Buckeyes trailing by eight points, and just two minutes and 40 seconds remaining on the game clock, OSU redshirt junior backup quarterback Kenny Guiton’s deep ball had just been intercepted by Purdue sophomore safety Landon Feichter. As it seemed the 7-0 Buckeyes were headed for their first loss of the season, many OSU football fans began their exodus from Ohio Stadium. It was hard not to give up on the Buckeyes at that point. OSU’s star quarterback, sophomore Braxton Miller, had left the game in the third quarter with a head injury. In his place, Guiton had failed to lead the Buckeyes to points on three consecutive drives. For the Buckeyes’ offense to even get another shot at tying the game, a defense that had given up 49 points to Indiana one week earlier needed to force Purdue’s offense off the field in four downs or less. If the Buckeyes were going to win, they needed a miracle. At that point, the Buckeyes showed the resilient, never-say-die attitude that first-year coach Urban Meyer has clearly instilled. The defense did exactly what it needed to do, not allowing a single first down and forcing a punt, which gave Guiton and the offense 47 seconds for one final shot at a game-tying drive. Guiton took advantage of his moment to shine. Guiton’s first pass was a 39-yard connection with sophomore wide receiver Devin Smith, which kicked off a drive that reached completion with a two-yard touchdown pass to redshirt junior wide receiver Chris Fields. Still needing two points to send the game to overtime, Guiton subsequently completed a pass to wide-open sophomore tight end Jeff Heuerman in the end zone. From there, the Buckeyes did their job again on both sides of the ball, as another Guiton-led scoring drive and a defensive stop gave the Buckeyes an improbable 29-22 victory in overtime. The Buckeyes may be 8-0, but they certainly haven’t made it easy to stay undefeated. While they have been heavily favored in most games, they have trailed in the second quarter or later in seven of eight games, and have either gone to overtime or won by three points or less in three of their four in-conference games this season. As should be expected of any team with a postseason ban and a first-year head coach, the Buckeyes have their issues, but they have displayed a knack for coming through and making the plays necessary to escape each game with victory. In games where the Buckeyes have failed to play up to their ability, as was certainly the case against Purdue, they have seemingly willed victories away from their opponents when the game is on the line. On Saturday, however, the Buckeyes will be facing a team that has shown even greater resiliency. The Buckeyes are traveling to University Park, Pa. this weekend to take on the Penn State Nittany Lions, a team that has overcome an 0-2 start to win five consecutive games. The Penn State football program was rocked within the past 12 months by the Jerry Sandusky sexual abuse scandal that cost legendary head coach Joe Paterno his job, and later had to overcome the death of Paterno and NCAA sanctions levied against the program as a result of the Sandusky scandal, all the while adjusting to a new head coach of their own in Bill O’Brien. In the first two weeks of the season, the effects of this tumult seemed to have their effect on the Nittany Lions, who suffered surprising losses to Ohio and Virginia. Since then, however, Penn State has rolled off five consecutive wins, and comes into Saturday’s matchup as a serious threat to give the Buckeyes their first loss of the season. As both teams are ineligible for postseason play, some would say they have nothing to play for, but don’t tell that to the Buckeyes or Nittany Lions. After overcoming major adversity leading into their 2012 seasons, both of these teams have taken on new identities under their new coaches, and are making their regular seasons count. Meyer’s Buckeyes are composed largely of the same personnel from the 2011 team that went 6-7, and he has reignited the winning tradition that OSU football is known for. What O’Brien has done at Penn State this season, however, is remarkable. Filling the shoes of Paterno after his 46-year career coaching PSU, and following what is arguably the worst scandal in college football history, O’Brien did not take an easy job. It will continue to be a challenge, as the Nittany Lions are in just their first year of four years of NCAA sanctioning including a postseason ban and scholarship reductions. But by bringing his no-nonsense attitude, installing an up-tempo offense and redefining the image of Penn State football, O’Brien has the Nittany Lions headed back in the right direction. On Saturday, the Nittany Lions have a chance for their first post-scandal marquee victory if they can upset the Buckeyes. Given the way PSU has rallied together and won their past five games, the Buckeyes are going to need to be on top of their game to stop that from happening. Playing an ambitious team in Beaver Stadium, the nation’s second-largest stadium, a will to win won’t be enough to remain undefeated.
The team’s manager Davide Ballardini says that the match against Sassuolo will be exceptional and he’s trying to overcome any obstacle to get a winGenoa started their season with a good 2-1 victory against Empoli last season.And manager Davide Ballardini wants to continue on the winning patch when his team plays against Sassuolo today.But Sassuolo has not been defeated in two matches played so far in the 2018-2019 Italian Lega Serie A season.Serie A Betting: Match-day 3 Stuart Heath – September 14, 2019 Considering there is a number of perfect starts so early in the Serie A season, as well as a few surprisingly not-so perfect ones….“It is not easy to play against teams that have a smart trequartista in the side, like Empoli or Sassuolo,” he told Football Italia.“You need to stay tight and take it in turns to close him down, possibly with a central midfielder dropping deep. It’s important to play as a team, focused on both attacking and defending together.”“The win against Empoli was satisfying and we feel the fans have confidence in us, but it’s just the beginning. Kouame and Piatek are extraordinarily interesting, while Gianluca Lapadula never holds back and gives such a big contribution to the team,” he added.“It is a strong club that maintained the team’s identity with players who have been there for many years. That makes them a pleasing and rare exception in Italian football.”
Edinson Cavani is keen on seeing out his current contract with Paris Saint-Germain after ruling out a return to Napoli before 2020.Cavani admitted staying with the Ligue 1 champions was his primary objective amid strong speculations linking him with a second spell at Napoli.“Right now, I’m playing towards the end of my contract and possibly my career,” the 31-year-old told Football Italia via L’Equipe.Opinion: Neymar needs to apologize to PSG’s supporters Tomás Pavel Ibarra Meda – September 14, 2019 After such a dramatic summer during the transfer window, Neymar truly needs to apologize to all the PSG supporters this weekend.When Neymar finished last…“I’ll be 33 going on 34 when it’s up. I don’t know if I’ll continue after 2020 and if my next contract will be in Paris, but I feel good here and I want to see my contract out.”The recent news would be like music to the ears of PSG fans who adore the Uruguayan star as they bid to land their first ever Champions League trophy.PSG were paired with the much improved Red Devils in the round of 16 and the tie is set to be explosive considering United’s current excellent form under caretaker boss Solskjaer.