Counterfeit US$50 note surfaces at Kitty business

first_imgBusinesses bewareBusiness people are advised to be on guard as counterfeit foreign currency has surfaced. Guyana Times was shown surveillance footage of an alleged fraudster who exchanged a counterfeit US note for Guyana currency at a shop in Kitty on Sunday.According to the proprietor, the perpetrator entered the grocery shop a little before 14:00h, appearing as a regular customer. He then bought about $4000 worth in groceries, however, just before he was about to leave, he asked the shop owner to assist him in changing a US$50 note, which the businessman agreed to do.The proprietor explained that he made the shocking discovery shortly after the man left, when his wife noticed that the highlighterThe counterfeit note the shop owner exchanged on Sunday afternoonimprinted its mark deep into the US$50 note; this is usually the case with counterfeit notes. When used on genuine notes, the ink would fade after sometime. This publication was given a demonstration using a US$1 note.The Kitty businessman explained that he doesn’t normally change money but gave into the man’s request.“I changed his $50 note but there were other customers waiting so I did not go to check; I changed it hurriedly thinking I could assist the rest of customers which I realised was the wrong thing to do there, not to check the note before,” he noted.He pointed out that after four years of operating his business, this is the first time that such an event occurred and indicated that in future he would be reluctant to assist customers who may ask for help.“It definitely made an impact on me because when the mistress came over and she realised the note is not good, I kind of break down because I work very hard,” he stressed.He added that he intends to report the matter to the police, who will retrieve the note and obtain the shop’s surveillance footage as evidence.last_img read more

€61m mackerel quota boost for Donegal-based fishermen

first_imgA new deal has been struck which will allow a €61m mackerel quota for Donegal-based fishermen.Under an order issued earlier this year, the Killybegs-based mackerel fishing sector will be allocated 87 per cent of the overall quota agreed yesterday in London.This means the Donegal-based sector will catch almost €61m of the €70m Irish quota announced by Minister for Agriculture, Food and the Marine Michael Creed. Minister Joe McHugh, who lobbied for the order, welcomed the news announced last night:“This is good news for the fishing fleet along the west coast and which fishes out of Killybegs,” said Minister McHugh.“I want to thank Minister Creed who contacted me this evening with this news. I am also satisfied that Minister Creed will be lobbying hard for a larger quota when current arrangements expire at the end of 2018.“As everyone in the industry knows I worked hard for the Killybegs-based sector to retain its share of the quota and they did so when then Department review was completed. Mackerel is an extremely important part of our fishing industry, particularly for Killybegs where so many other jobs in processing and engineering rely on this quota.” Minister Creed announced the outcome of the international fisheries negotiations which concluded today in London.These negotiations, between the European Union, Norway, the Faroe Islands, Iceland and Greenland were focused on the sustainable management of the €1billion annual mackerel fishery in the North East Atlantic.Minister Creed said: “Mackerel is our most valuable fishery and allied to the fact that we are the second largest EU quota holder, these negotiations are always of crucial importance to the Irish fishing industry.“There was new scientific advice this year which showed that, while the stock is in good shape, a precautionary approach for long term sustainability was necessary, with a significant reduction in quota recommended.“Accordingly, following careful consideration of scientific advice of the International Council for the Exploration of the Seas (ICES) and discussions  with the Marine Institute and industry stakeholders, I supported a reduction, in line with the agreed Long Term Management Strategy, in the quota for 2018.” The new mackerel quota for Irish fishermen for 2018 will be just under 70,000 tonnes (69,143 tonnes) with a landing value of €70 million.The current sharing arrangement for mackerel was agreed in 2014 between three parties only – EU, Faeroes and Norway.  An amount is held in reserve to accommodate the other parties. This agreement is due to expire at the end of 2018 and it is expected that intensive negotiations on a new agreement will take place throughout 2018.The Minister added: “The quotas agreed for 2018 are consistent with the Long Term Management Strategy which aims to provide sustainability and stability in this hugely valuable fishery in line with the scientific advice. In terms of the negotiations to come these are likely to be further complicated by Brexit. I remain dissatisfied with the 2014 agreement and will be working for a more equitable sharing arrangement that also protects the ongoing long term sustainability of the mackerel stock.”€61m mackerel quota boost for Donegal-based fishermen was last modified: October 12th, 2017 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:FishingMACKERELlast_img read more