INDIANAPOLIS — After sneaking past Northwestern, 67-61, in overtime Friday in the second round of the Big Ten Tournament, the Ohio State men’s basketball team will play Michigan on Saturday. The Buckeyes needed an Evan Turner buzzer-beater from just inside halfcourt to top the Wolverines in the 2010 tournament. With the No. 4-seeded Wolverines’ (20-12) 60-55 win against Illinois on Friday, Michigan coach John Beilein said his team is playing its best basketball late in the season. After a 1-6 start to Big Ten play, Michigan put together an 8-3 record down the stretch to finish 9-9 in conference play. The Wolverines were able to close the season strong because of improved play from their young players. Michigan starts two freshmen and one sophomore. That sophomore, guard Darius Morris, leads the Wolverines in scoring and assists with 15.1 and 6.8, respectively. That assist mark tops the Big Ten. OSU point guard Aaron Craft likely would be the primary defender of Morris. The freshman said he is looking forward to the opportunity. “Defense is something I’ve definitely taken pride in over the years,” he said. “I definitely enjoy the challenge.” Morris had 17 points and seven assists against Illinois. Freshman guard Tim Hardaway Jr. and redshirt freshman forward Jordan Morgan are next in scoring for the Wolverines, with 13.8 and 9.5 points per game, respectively. OSU freshman forward Jared Sullinger said he knows how he will approach the talented, young Michigan squad. “It’s the Big Ten,” he said. “This is where you’ve got to be physical, especially in the Big Ten Tournament.” The Buckeyes took home victories in both matchups with Michigan this season, with a 68-64 win Jan. 12 in Ann Arbor, Mich., and a 62-53 victory Feb. 3 at home. OSU junior guard William Buford topped all Buckeye scorers in the teams’ first meeting, with 19 points. Sullinger put up 19 of his own in the second meeting with the Wolverines, to go along with 15 rebounds. But, the Buckeyes are looking forward, not back. “We have a game tomorrow,” Sullinger said, “and that’s really where our focus is at.” Michigan would all but assure an at-large bid in the NCAA Tournament with a victory against No. 1 OSU. If OSU shoots like it did against Northwestern, it may make that victory more likely. The Buckeyes tied a season low by connecting on just 32 percent of their shots from the floor against the Wildcats. “Hopefully we shoot the ball a little better tomorrow,” Matta said. Though shooting may be a concern, the fact that four players — Sullinger, Craft, senior guard Jon Diebler and fifth-year senior forward David Lighty — played 40 minutes or more against the Wildcats does not seem to be. “I don’t think it affects us at all,” Lighty said. “We’ve been through it before, last year and even the year before that. It’s just us coming out and continuing to do what we do.” The Buckeyes will face the Wolverines at 1:40 p.m. Saturday at Conseco Fieldhouse in Indianapolis.
After the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles concluded its investigation of car purchases made by Ohio State athletes and found that all purchases were legitimate, OSU has canceled its own investigation. According to the BMV’s 65-page report released Tuesday, which examined purchases from the Jack Maxton Chevrolet and Auto Direct dealerships in Columbus, there was “no evidence” to suggest wrongdoing by the dealerships or OSU players. “In light of the report from the BMV and an examination done by the Ohio Independent Automobile Dealers Association, we have seen no evidence that would lead us to believe that Ohio State student athletes violated any policies when purchasing used cars,” OSU spokesman Jim Lynch wrote in an email to The Lantern. “Therefore, we will not be conducting an independent examination outside of what has already been done by these parties.” The report cited that all 25 transactions were legitimate; however, no OSU officials were referenced in the BMV report. In a separate investigation released Tuesday, James R. Mitchell, the executive director of Ohio Independent Automobile Dealers Association, said that each of the 25 cars in question were sold at “fair market value.” “It is my professional opinion in regards to the sales transactions regarding (OSU) student athletes and their family members that there was no preferential treatment,” he wrote in a letter. The BMV’s investigation found that the automobile titles for the cars in question accurately reflected the actual purchase prices of the cars. The report also said there was no evidence of players providing memorabilia or tickets to the dealerships in place of cash. The Columbus Dispatch originally reported OSU’s plan to investigate car sales on May 7. Terrelle Pryor, who was connected to the use of at least six different cars during his time at OSU, departed the university on June 7 to pursue an NFL career. Thomas Bradley contributed to this story.
Ohio State redshirt sophomore quarterback Dwayne Haskins (7) calls out a play in the first half of the Rose Bowl Game featuring Ohio State and Washington. Ohio State won 28-23. Credit: Casey Cascaldo | Photo EditorFor the first time since Art Schlichter in 1982, an Ohio State quarterback was selected in the first round of the NFL draft.Former Ohio State quarterback Dwayne Haskins has been selected with the No. 15 pick in the first round of the 2019 NFL draft by the Washington Redskins.Haskins was the second Buckeye taken in the draft, after former defensive end Nick Bosa went No. 2 overall to San Francisco 49ers. He’s the first Ohio State quarterback to be drafted since Cardale Jones was picked in the fourth round by the Buffalo Bills in 2016.Haskins is the first first-round selection hailing from the Big Ten since Kerry Collins was selected No. 5 overall out of Penn State by the Carolina Panthers in 1995. Haskins set Ohio State’s new single-season record for passing yards with 4,831, completion percentage with 70 percent (minimum 100 attempts) and touchdowns with 50, earning an invitation to New York City as a Heisman Trophy finalist. He also set the single-game passing yards record, throwing for 499 against Northwestern in the 2018 Big Ten title game, and tied the record for touchdowns with six on two different occasions.Under Haskins, the Ohio State offense finished No. 2 nationally in yards per game (535.7) and No. 2 in passing yards per game (358.7).Haskins declared for the NFL draft in the weeks following Ohio State’s Rose Bowl win against Washington.
The newly-promoted Serie A side Parma have reportedly targetted a surprise move for Stoke City striker Peter Crouch, claims CalciomercatoThree years on after declaring bankruptcy and being dropped down the pyramid, Parma have successfully climbed back up to the top tier of Italian football.The Gialloblu are hoping to strengthen their attacking options for next season and have now reportedly set their sights on Crouch.Crouch: Liverpool could beat Man United to Jadon Sancho Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Peter Crouch wouldn’t be surprised to see Jadon Sancho end up at Liverpool one day instead of his long-term pursuers Manchester United.While the former England international is now 37 years old, he did finish as Stoke’s top scorer in the 2017/18 season.Crouch currently has just one year remaining on his current deal at the relegated side and is believed to be tempted by the prospect of a move away from the Bet365 stadium this summer rather than playing a year of Championship football.Since being promoted from Serie B last month, Parma have already added the likes of Fabio Ceravolo, Jacopo Dezi and Riccardo Gagliolo to their ranks.
The team’s manager Davide Ballardini says that the match against Sassuolo will be exceptional and he’s trying to overcome any obstacle to get a winGenoa started their season with a good 2-1 victory against Empoli last season.And manager Davide Ballardini wants to continue on the winning patch when his team plays against Sassuolo today.But Sassuolo has not been defeated in two matches played so far in the 2018-2019 Italian Lega Serie A season.Serie A Betting: Match-day 3 Stuart Heath – September 14, 2019 Considering there is a number of perfect starts so early in the Serie A season, as well as a few surprisingly not-so perfect ones….“It is not easy to play against teams that have a smart trequartista in the side, like Empoli or Sassuolo,” he told Football Italia.“You need to stay tight and take it in turns to close him down, possibly with a central midfielder dropping deep. It’s important to play as a team, focused on both attacking and defending together.”“The win against Empoli was satisfying and we feel the fans have confidence in us, but it’s just the beginning. Kouame and Piatek are extraordinarily interesting, while Gianluca Lapadula never holds back and gives such a big contribution to the team,” he added.“It is a strong club that maintained the team’s identity with players who have been there for many years. That makes them a pleasing and rare exception in Italian football.”
The Barcelona footballer is calling Ousmane to improve his attitude to be able to earn a place in the first-teamOusmane Dembele has not started a match in the Spanish La Liga tournament since September, and he’s starting to be undisciplined.And teammate Luis Suarez has a clear message for him.“It’s not that [Dembele] has not adapted to the dressing room – the relationship he has with his team-mates is very good,” Suarez told reporters according to Four Four Two.Mourinho: “Lionel Messi made me a better coach” Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Jose Mourinho believes the experience of going up against Barcelona superstar Lionel Messi at Real Madrid made him a greater coach.“He is happy. But as some of my team-mates have said, and Ousmane himself knows, being a footballer is a privilege. I think maybe he should focus more on his football and be more responsible.”“He is very young and can take inspiration from the exemplary professionalism in the Barcelona dressing room. He deserves to be there and to triumph with Barca,” Suarez added.The French footballer joined Barcelona in 2017 after spells with Borussia Dortmund in the German Bundesliga and Rennes in the French Ligue 1.
Edinson Cavani is keen on seeing out his current contract with Paris Saint-Germain after ruling out a return to Napoli before 2020.Cavani admitted staying with the Ligue 1 champions was his primary objective amid strong speculations linking him with a second spell at Napoli.“Right now, I’m playing towards the end of my contract and possibly my career,” the 31-year-old told Football Italia via L’Equipe.Opinion: Neymar needs to apologize to PSG’s supporters Tomás Pavel Ibarra Meda – September 14, 2019 After such a dramatic summer during the transfer window, Neymar truly needs to apologize to all the PSG supporters this weekend.When Neymar finished last…“I’ll be 33 going on 34 when it’s up. I don’t know if I’ll continue after 2020 and if my next contract will be in Paris, but I feel good here and I want to see my contract out.”The recent news would be like music to the ears of PSG fans who adore the Uruguayan star as they bid to land their first ever Champions League trophy.PSG were paired with the much improved Red Devils in the round of 16 and the tie is set to be explosive considering United’s current excellent form under caretaker boss Solskjaer.
Hatchery king salmon are recognizable by the healed adipose fin-clip scar. Naturally-produced king salmon may not be possessed or retained and are distinguishable by an intact adipose fin, a small fleshy fin on the back of the fish just ahead of the tail. Naturally-produced king salmon that are caught may not be removed from the water and must be released immediately. In addition, the use of bait is prohibited and only one unbaited, single-hook artificial lure may be used in the Kasilof River from its mouth upstream to the Sterling Highway Bridge. Single-hook means a fishhook with only one point. This restriction is effective from 12:01 a.m. Wednesday, May 1 through 11:59 p.m. Sunday, June 30. The bag and possession limit for king salmon 20 inches or greater in length is one hatchery fish. Facebook0TwitterEmailPrintFriendly分享The Alaska Department of Fish and Game (ADF&G) announced on Wednesday the sport fishing regulation restriction for king salmon in the Kasilof River restricted to hatchery kings only. Area Management Biologist Colton Lipka” “To ensure a successful naturally-produced king salmon broodstock season in 2019, ADF&G has determined restrictions to the early-run king salmon sport fishery in the Kasilof River will provide the best chance to achieve these goals. Its important to our staff and anglers that we continue our efforts to protect and rebuild our wild king salmon stocks. ADF&G does anticipate an increase in angler effort on the Kasilof River due to early-run king salmon restrictions on the Kenai River and we have to manage accordingly with restrictions only allowing hatchery king salmon to be retained on the Kasilof River.”