Inimgba says there was a smaller-scale celebration held last year, but it wasn’t well attended. He says he hopes the estimated $12,000 celebration will attract new faces to the event. [asset|aid=2551|format=mp3player|formatter=asset_bonus|title=8070f4d051afe69bb14c3fe5d07fed35-Inigmba 1_1_Pub.mp3] The city has granted $2,000 towards the celebration, and the Quality Inn/Northern Grand Hotel has contributed as well.While Inimgba didn’t say where the funding is at right now, he says donations are still needed.Advertisement The Pan African Caribbean Association of Fort St. John is gearing up for its first major Black History celebration.At a media conference on Friday, Spokesperson Clifford Inimgba outlined the events set for the 25th to 27th.On Thursday, a soccer game will kick things off at the North Peace Secondary School’s gym from 5:00p.m. until 6:30p.m.Then on Friday, there will be a presentation on the how African immigrants initially arrived in Northeast B.C. That discussion will be held at the Northern Lights College from 6:00p.m. until 9:00p.m.Finally on Saturday, there will be an African-Caribbean Dinner and Dance at the North Peace Cultural Centre, with a special keynote speaker.Advertisement For more information on the event, call Donald at 250-787-0279. Photo: Clifford Inigmba announces the celebrations set for next week’s Black History event, at the Northern Lights College on Friday – Christine Rumleskie/Energeticcity.ca By Christine Rumleskie- Advertisement –
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREBasketball roundup: Sierra Canyon, Birmingham set to face off in tournament quarterfinals The league would have to spend an additional $50 million to buy a 53-acre site in Anaheim, while it would simply lease the Coliseum in Los Angeles. League officials also said they plan to travel next month to Southern California, where they will tour both sites and meet local officials and business leaders. Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa said Monday he was already organizing a meeting to demonstrate the city’s widespread support for a football team. The owners of the 32 teams are next scheduled to meet in October, although they can call a special meeting at any time to resolve the matter. Drawings for the Coliseum are complete and a series of other documents clearing the way for a professional football team are on file. National Football League owners decided today to take the next step in returning to the Los Angeles area, agreeing to spend millions of dollars to study plans for building state-of-the-art stadiums inside the Memorial Coliseum and on a site in Anaheim site. The decision was met mixed emotions, as officials in both cities expressed optimism that they’re still in the game, but disappointment that a final decision was not made. The exact amount to be spent reviewing plans was not immediately available, but officials have previously estimated it would be in the $10 million range. League officials have said they want to review the plans to determine the final costs of being in the Southern California market. Stadium construction costs range from $600 million to $800 million. These include a commitment from the Community Redevelopment Agency to make $25 million in improvements to the Exposition Park area, as well as environmental impact reports, a development agreement and a certification that the renovation would not impact the Coliseum’s National Historic Landmark status. Local officials also have noted there is no immediate rush for a decision. The NFL has said it would like to see a team in the Los Angeles market by 2010. It is expected to take two years to complete work on the Coliseum. Rick Orlov, (213) 978-0390 [email protected] local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!