“We cannot speak ahead of the court’s decision and I can’t discuss the case’s merits, but we hope for a favorable decision considering that we know what happened during the entire process,” Robredo said. Based on a media advisory on Tuesday, the high court justices have decided to hold the voting on Marcos’ protest on October 8. The verdict on the case should have come out yesterday. Former senator Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. claims “massive cheating” caused him to lose to Vice President Robredo in the 2016 vice-presidential race by some 260,000 votes. Marcos cited alleged pre-shading of ballots, massive vote buying, script change in the transparency server that supposedly altered the results, pre-loaded secure digital cards, misreading of ballots, malfunctioning vote counting machines, and an “abnormally high” unaccounted votes/undervotes for the position of vice president. Marcos only lost the vice presidential race to Robredo by 263,473 votes in the final and official tally by Commission on Elections. Marcos garnered 14,155,344 votes while Robredo got a total of 14,418,817. Robredo, in an interview on Tuesday, said that she is hopeful the SC will come out with a favorable decision on the electoral protest. “As I have said in the past, as long as the case is pending, there is a platform for them to spread propaganda which most of the time is fake news. So we hope it is decided upon,” she added./PN In his election protest, the former senator questioned the election results in 39, 221 clustered precincts in some 25 provinces and five cities all over the country involving around 9 million votes. Manila – The Supreme Court (SC), sittingas the Presidential Electoral Tribunal, deferred voting on former senatorFerdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr.’s election protest against Vice President LeniRobredo. SC Associate Justice Alfredo Caguioa already submitted a report on the recount and the revision of ballots from three provinces but the high court justices two weeks ago. The ballot recount covered 5,415 election precincts in three pilot provinces chosen by Marcos: Camarines Sur, Iloilo and Negros Oriental. The results of the recount will determine whether or not the case will proceed to Marcos’ remaining contested voting precincts.
Last week, junior pitcher Chris Mezger said the bullpen had to step up. He said the group of relievers had to minimize the damage and avoid the big inning. He couldn’t have pitched any truer to his words Tuesday night in USC’s 9-7 win over host Loyola Marymount at George C. Page Stadium.Relief · After USC senior Shuhei Fujiya was unable to record an out in the first inning, junior Chris Mezger pitched four scoreless innings. – Brandon Hui | Daily Trojan The Trojans (13-12) moved to 5-1 in midweek competitions thanks to Mezger’s ability to come in and quell a Lions’ rally early in the first inning.“Mezger did phenomenal tonight,” USC coach Chad Kreuter said. “I’m extremely excited about how he’s been pitching.”LMU (13-12) chased senior Shuhei Fujiya from his first start as a Trojan before he even recorded an out. Fujiya loaded the bases with a pair of walks and a single through the right side before the Lions’ most dangerous hitter, Matt Koch, doubled down the left field line driving in two runs.LMU’s infielder Matt Lowenstein followed with a RBI single that spelled the end of the day for Fujiya. Kreuter made the call to the bullpen for Mezger, his most versatile reliever. The lanky 6-foot-10 right hander was stellar once again, getting out of the jam and allowing only a squeeze bunt to score Lowenstein.Mezger baffled the LMU hitters for four innings, allowing only one single while recording three strikeouts. He picked up his third win in relief, improving his record to 3-0 and lowering his ERA to 1.80 in 20 innings.Juniors Logan Odom and Ryan Cabral and sophomore Brandon Garcia pieced together four innings, giving up single runs in the fifth, sixth and seventh innings before sophomore Chad Smith came in to slam the door shut in the ninth inning. Smith struck out two Lions’ batters and then induced a ground ball to third base to earn his second career save — his first this season.“Chad had some really special stuff tonight,” Kreuter said. “We would like to have a defined closer, but right now the defined role in our bullpen is the hot hand.”After scoring only one run in Sunday’s series finale at Stanford, the Trojans wasted little time getting on the scoreboard against the Lions. It took only two batters.Junior second baseman Joe De Pinto was plunked by a pitch to lead off the game, and sophomore first baseman Ricky Oropesa doubled to the left-centerfield gap to score De Pinto. Oropesa came in to score later in the inning when LMU’s starting pitcher Aaron Griffin uncorked his first of two wild pitches.USC continued the scoring in the second inning with another pair of runs on freshman shortstop Adam Landecker’s first career home run.“We had a hit-and-run play on with a 2-0 count, and he fouled it off,” Kreuter said. “So I put [the hit-and-run] back on and he hit it over the big wall in left field.”The shortstop reached base three times in the contest, scoring a pair of runs.“It’s fun as a coach to watch another young player have success,” Kreuter said.De Pinto also had a pair of runs and a pair of RBI after he drove in two runs in the top of the fourth inning. USC knocked Griffin out of the game and stretched its lead to 8-4 in the fifth inning with a pair of runs, including sophomore infielder Matt Foat’s fifth home run this season.Griffin (2-2) was saddled with the loss after allowing eight runs (seven earned) on six hits and five walks in four and two-thirds innings.Koch, Lowenstein and outfielder Ryan Hawthorne each recorded multi-hit games for LMU.The Trojans will be back in action when they host Oregon State for a three-game series beginning Thursday.
The FA Cup will be shown on the BBC and BT Sport while ITV has secured exclusive rights to England games from 2014, the Football Association has announced.Both the FA Cup and England deals will begin at the start of the 2014-15 season and run through to 2018.ITV had already won England’s World Cup and European Championship qualification fixtures from UEFA and has now secured all home and away friendly internationals.It will be a return for the FA Cup to the BBC for the first time since 2008.New FA chairman Greg Dyke said: “I would like to thank everyone who expressed an interest in these FA Cup broadcast rights and congratulate the BBC and BT Sport on their successful tenders.“Their valuable support underlines what a great competition the FA Cup is and how important it is to the sporting calendar. “ITV have done a tremendous job in recent years and we look forward to their fantastic continued support of the England team.“We are delighted to have all the England games, both qualification and friendly internationals, in one place allowing ITV to follow the team home and away.”