Home Depot sues Visa, MasterCard over use of chip-and-PIN

first_img 8SHARESShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr Home Depot filed a lawsuit this week against Visa and MasterCard over the use of chip cards, which it says does not go far enough to prevent fraud. In the lawsuit, according to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Home Depot accused the card companies of trying to block the use of PINs in favor of less-secure methods.The lawsuit claims that by blocking the use of PINs, Visa and MasterCard are pushing merchants toward less-secure transactions that generate higher fees.“Credit unions and banks have shouldered millions in costs from Home Depot’s data breach in 2014,” said Lance Noggle, senior director of advocacy at CUNA. “Home Depot should be concerned about the cost to consumers of their lax data security practices that have harmed many consumers by allowing criminals access their customers’ personal information instead of worrying about fraud costs from debit cards, which credit unions and banks are responsible for paying.”Despite Home Depot’s claims, Visa’s data shows a 40% decline in counterfeit rates at merchants who have enabled chip card transactions. continue reading »last_img read more

Jakarta to evaluate COVID-19 policy amid ‘alarming’ situation

first_imgBoth figures far exceed the World Health Organization’s standard of 5 percent for the relaxation of restrictions. Cumulatively, the positivity rate over the course of the pandemic was 6.9 percent in Jakarta and 13.9 percent nationally, Anies added.The governor said the condition was “worrying” because of Jakarta’s healthcare limitations.“If the number of people requiring treatment is more than the capacity of the hospitals and the number of medical personnel, we will face a big problem,” he said. The Jakarta administration is set to hold a special meeting on Wednesday to assess its COVID-19 countermeasures as cases in the capital continue to rise.“The task force will hold a special meeting to evaluate the latest developments of COVID-19 in Jakarta because the situation is alarming,” Governor Anies Baswesdan said on Wednesday.In the past week, Anies said, Jakarta’s positivity rate – the percentage of COVID-19 tests that return a positive result – had increased to 13.2 percent, while the national rate had reached 18.4 percent. Read also: Industrial COVID-19 clusters in Bekasi, Karawang reach 500 casesAnies said the Jakarta administration would prepare new policies and expected better enforcement of health protocols in communities.Jakarta is currently under transitional large-scale social restrictions (PSBB), a relaxation of the previously imposed restrictions, as the capital gradually reopens businesses and services to keep the economy running.The capital entered transitional PSBB on June 4 and has since extended the policy five times. The move, however, seems to have backfired as new coronavirus clusters have emerged in the capital.As of Tuesday afternoon, Jakarta had confirmed 48,811 COVID-19 cases, with 1,330 fatalities and 36,451 recoveries.Amid the rising rate of transmission, gravediggers have raised concerns about seemingly endless work with minimum protective gear. The available land in designated COVID-19 cemeteries is decreasing.“Currently, we have designated cemeteries in Tegal Alur and Pondok Ranggon. In Tegal Alur, there are still about two hectares of land available, with one hectare accommodating roughly 3,000 burials,” Anies said.The management of Pondok Ranggon cemetery previously reported that by the end of August, there would only be space for another 1,100 burials. Space is expected to run out in October.Topics :last_img read more