Iran imposes lockdown to check all citizens for virus

first_img‘Right direction’ Zarif also appealed to the United Nations for an end to US sanctions, which he said were “undermining our efforts to fight the COVID-19 epidemic in Iran”.The United States is currently pursuing a policy of “maximum pressure” aimed at crippling the Iranian government’s finances.President Donald Trump launched the campaign in 2018 after unilaterally withdrawing the US from a nuclear deal between Iran and world powers and reimposing sanctions.In theory, humanitarian items are exempt from the US sanctions, but in reality banks tend to turn down transactions involving Iran to avoid being exposed to potential litigation.The World Health Organization praised Iran as a delegation of WHO and public health experts left the country after a five-day mission.”We see that Iran’s strategies and priorities to control COVID-19 are evolving in the right direction,” said Richard Brennan, WHO regional emergency director.”But more needs to be done,” he said in a statement.”We agreed on several priority areas for scale-up with the national health authorities, based on informed experiences in China and elsewhere.” Topics : Among other top brass at the gathering was Gholamreza Soleimani, who heads the Basij, a volunteer militia loyal to the establishment, as was Defense Minister Amir Hatami.Bagheri appeared in front of the cameras later to say a newly formed commission had been charged with overseeing the “emptying of shops, streets and roads” within the next 24 hours. Entire nation to be monitored “During the next 10 days, the entire Iranian nation will be monitored once through cyberspace, by phone and, if necessary, in person, and those suspected of being ill will be fully identified,” he said.It was difficult to estimate on Friday the real extent of the measures announced by the general.News of the lockdown came as Iran said the novel coronavirus had claimed another 85 lives, its highest single-day toll since the first deaths were announced on February 19.”Sadly, 85 people infected with the COVID-19 disease have died in the past 24 hours,” health ministry spokesman Kianoush Jahanpour said.”Across the country, at least 1,289 infected people have been added to the list of confirmed patients.”In all, the ministry says 514 people have been killed by the illness out of 11,364 confirmed cases of infection in Iran.Several politicians and officials have been infected, with some dying from the illness.The latest suspected case was Ali Akbar Velayati, who advises Iran’s supreme leader on foreign policy.Velayati fell ill with “mild symptoms” on Wednesday and has been placed in quarantine, according to Tasnim news agency.Iran on Thursday said it asked the International Monetary Fund for its first loan in decades to combat the coronavirus outbreak.Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif urged the IMF to “stand on the right side of history”.center_img But despite those and other measures including the cancellation of the main weekly Friday prayers, the official number of deaths and infections has continued to grow exponentially.Iran’s supreme leader on Thursday ordered the armed forces to lead the battle against the outbreak.Ayatollah Ali Khamenei instructed the security forces to bring their services together and expand efforts to combat the virus.Acting on those orders, armed forces chief of staff Major General Mohammad Bagheri chaired a meeting on Friday that included Revolutionary Guard commander Hossein Salami and police chief Hossein Ashtari. Iran said Friday the security forces will clear the streets nationwide within 24 hours so all citizens can be checked for coronavirus — its toughest measure yet to combat the outbreak.The COVID-19 epidemic in Iran — a nation of more than 80 million people — has now claimed over 500 lives and infected more than 11,000.Since it announced the first deaths last month, Iran has shut schools, postponed events and discouraged travel ahead of Nowrouz, the country’s New Year holidays.last_img read more

Tipp ‘highly motivated’ heading into qualifier

first_imgTipp FM will have full, live coverage of the match from 4.45 on Saturday, which will be brought to you in association with McDonald’s at Junction 8 on the M8, Cashel. The Premier County play Derry in a Round 4A clash on Saturday evening.Proceedings at Kingspan Breffni Park in Cavan get underway at 5 o’clock.The Tipp boss doesn’t think the controversial choice of venue has increased the side’s determination to defeat the Oakleaf county.last_img

NHL free agency 2019: Maple Leafs sign trade acquisitions Kerfoot and Ceci

first_imgThe Maple Leafs have nearly finished filling up their roster.Toronto signed newly acquired center Alexander Kerfoot and defenseman Cody Ceci to new contracts on Thursday. Kerfoot joins the team on a four-year deal with an AAV of $3.5 million. Ceci agreed to a one-year contract worth $4.5 million. Ceci, 25, headlined the Senators’ package in the trade for Nikita Zaitsev and Connor Brown. The sixth-year veteran tied his career-high with 26 points (7-19–26) last season in 74 games.Maple Leafs, Senators six-player swap is a win-win as Zaitsev, Ceci start anewAccording to CapFriendly, Toronto now has an estimated $3,765,301 in cap space. However, The Fourth Period’s David Pagnotta reports that the team is a few roster moves away from having over $11 million, keeping them in play to re-sign Mitch Marner.Looking at the Leafs cap situation: Add Kerfoot’s $3.5M AAV & Ceci’s $4.5M AAV. Factor in Horton’s $5.3M going on LTIR and 4 players on the current roster making avg $700K each being moved to the AHL to start the year, the Leafs have $11.165M in cap flexibility to play with.— David Pagnotta (@TheFourthPeriod) July 4, 2019 The Leafs traded for Kerfoot, 24, along with Tyson Barrie and a sixth-round draft pick from the Avalanche in exchange for Nazem Kadri and Calle Rosen. He posted 42 points (15-27-42) with a minus-nine rating in 78 games last season. Kerfoot failed to find the back of the net in his 12 playoff games, but notched three assists.MORE: Maple Leafs acquire Tyson Barrie, gain key right-handed defensemanlast_img read more

Wellington Police Notes: Wednesday, August 13, 2014

first_imgWellington Police Notes for Wednesday, August 13, 2014•9:09 a.m. Officers investigated a theft by a known suspect in the 2000 block E. 16th, Wellington.•5:55 p.m. Non-Injury, hit and run accident in the area of U.S. 160 & U.S. 81, Wellington involving vehicles operated by juvenile male, 16, Wellington and Houston T. Sober, 18, Wellington.•7:33 p.m. Officers investigated criminal threat by a known suspect in the 1400 block Michigan, Wellington.•8:36 p.m. Officers took a report of suspicious activity in the 1100 block W. 8th, Wellington.last_img read more

Springboks coach Allister Coetzee to be sacked after attack on SA rugby

first_imgDuring his two-year tenure, Coetzee won just 11 of his 25 Tests in charge, with defeats to Italy, Wales and Ireland.Despite boasting the worst win ratio of any ‘Boks coach for 20 years, he refutes any responsibility and shifts the blame onto the SARU.South Africa’s Sunday Times newspaper reports Coetzee sent a scathing letter to the governing body, accusing it of ill-practice.Coetzee met with CEO Jurie Roux on January 18 about what he thought was an upcoming performance review, but was told his time as Springboks coach was up.”Instead, the meeting was used as a platform to inform me of SARU’s decision to inter alia, terminate my contract of employment with immediate effect,” Coetzee writes in his letter.”You further informed me that a further aspect of decision is that my services will be terminated regardless of the outcome of the anticipated performance review, as contemplated by my employment contract.”Coetzee also alleges his sacking is to make way for SARU’s new director of rugby, Rassie Erasmus, to take the helm.He believes a potential demotion, should he stay on board, would constitute unfair labour practice and infringe his right to equality.”And should I wish to remain in SARU’S employment, I will be reduced to a ceremonial coach, and further that, Johan Erasmus [“Rassie”] has already been employed to replace me and is already performing the duties of a Springbok coach.”Should I be reduced to the position of ceremonial coach I would have the fact in the indignity of reporting to Rassie.”Coetzee likens his perceived treatment by SA rugby to that of former outspoken and controversial coach Peter de Villiers.”I will not allow elements in SARU to wilfully destroy me and render me unemployable as was done to Peter De Villiers.”I was the most successful Super Rugby coach at the time of my appointment and was requested to return to Springbok rugby from Japan because my country needed me.”My treatment since my return as suggests that elements in SARU embarked on a deliberate attempt to undermine me from the word go and to create the public impression of incompetence on my part whilst wilfully obstructing my efforts to be successful.”last_img read more