Joshua happy to come home with Pulev fight in London

first_imgAnthony Joshua said he felt “honoured” to be topping the bill in the first professional boxing event at the new Tottenham Hotspur Stadium after it was announced he would defend his world heavyweight titles at the north London football ground against Kubrat Pulev on June 20.Advertisement Promoted ContentThe Highest Paid Football Players In The WorldThe Very Last Bitcoin Will Be Mined Around 2140. Read MoreBest & Worst Celebrity Endorsed Games Ever MadeThe Highest Paid Football Players In The WorldBirds Enjoy Living In A Gallery Space Created For Them7 Reasons You Have Trouble Getting Things Done12 Iconic Actors Whose Careers Were Stunted By A Single Movie6 Extreme Facts About HurricanesYou’ve Only Seen Such Colorful Hairdos In A Handful Of AnimeTop 7 Best Car Manufacturers Of All TimeBest Car Manufacturers In The World10 Risky Jobs Some Women Do Loading… Joshua, 30, regained the WBA, IBF and WBO titles with a unanimous points win over Andy Ruiz Jr in Saudi Arabia in December.That victory saw the Londoner avenge the first defeat of his professional career, in New York last June.“On June 20, I am defending my heavyweight world titles,” said Joshua in a statement posted on Tottenham’s website on Monday.“I’m back in my home city after some time away. A spectacular stadium has been built in North London and I’m honoured to bring the boxing community from all over the world to witness us make history with the stadium’s first heavyweight world title fight.”“The belts go back up in the air and nothing will stop me from being victorious,” added Joshua ahead of his first bout in the UK since he defeated Alexander Povetkin at Wembley in September, 2018.The prospects for a much-anticipated all-British “superfight” between Joshua and Tyson Fury suffered a setback when American Deontay Wilder said he would trigger a clause in his contract for a third meeting with Fury, the new WBC heavyweight champion.– ‘Must-win fight’ –But Eddie Hearn, Joshua’s promoter, talked up the Pulev clash by saying: “I’m so excited to see Anthony Joshua return to the capital, 70,000 at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium is going to be very special.“As we go into what I believe will be the biggest year of ‘AJ’s’ career so far, all our attention turns to Kubrat Pulev in an absolute must-win fight.”Bulgarian boxer Pulev has won 28 of 29 bouts, with his only loss coming in a world title defeat by Wladimir Klitschko back in 2014.“Pulev is undefeated in six years and his team and especially Bob Arum really fancy this,” said Hearn. “I think you are going to see something special from ‘AJ’ on June 20 – a destructive performance on the road to undisputed.”Pulev, who is the mandatory challenger for Joshua’s IBF title, pulled out of a scheduled meeting with the Briton in 2017 due to injury.But in a Facebook post on Monday, the 38-year-old Pulev said: “I am happy that I will be able to show the world how strong I really am.” Read Also: Anthony Joshua to defend heavyweight titles in London on June 20Fury stopped Wilder in the seventh round of their heavyweight title rematch in Las Vegas last week – the American’s first defeat of his career – after a draw between the two boxers in 2018.Hearn responded by saying Joshua’s camp would do “everything we can” to bring about a fight with Fury.The 90,000-capacity Wembley Stadium could stage a Joshua-Fury bout but it might yet take place overseas for financial reasons, with Saudi Arabia reported to be a potential venue.FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 last_img read more

Bundesliga to restart season in May

first_imgRelatedPosts COVID-19: NCAA to revoke erring airlines licence over non-compliance Club’s server collapses over ticket demand for first Bundesliga game in 11 years FRSC to Schools: We’ll arrest, prosecute drivers who flout COVID-19 rules The Bundesliga has been given the green light by the German Government to recommence their season, following a meeting on Wednesday.Germany have been at the forefront of getting back to action and have been praised for their handling of the coronavirus crisis, leading to football clubs returning to training, while maintaining social distancing, a few weeks ago. The clubs have undertaken intense daily testing to ensure the safety of the players and their families, and although 10 positive tests have been discovered, steps have been taken to isolate those individuals and move forward.The DFL have yet to decide on an official date for getting games back underway – behind closed doors, of course – but plans are being put in place for players to be ready for the second half of the month.There are nine rounds of the current Bundesliga season remaining, with Bayern currently four points clear of Borussia Dortmund at the top.The German approach is in stark contrast to the approaches of France and Netherlands, who have chosen to void their seasons and will start afresh in August or September.Tags: BundesligaCOVID-19Ease of LockdownEuropean FootballGermanylast_img read more

Edo Boy Wins ABU Welterweight Title, N1.5m

first_imgGOTv Boxing Night 10Stanley “Edo Boy” Eribo, on Monday, won the African Boxing Union welterweight title when he defeated Ghana’s Isaac Sowah at GOtv Boxing Night 10, which held at the Indoor Sports Hall of the National Stadium, Lagos.For his impressive performance, he was also voted the best boxer of the night, winning a cash prize of N1.5million. It was a classic Edo Boy performance, cleverly holding off his bulkier opponent and coming up with telling combinations when it mattered most to win by unanimous decision.The night also completed the Oto Joseph/Nurudeen Fatai trilogy, when the arch rivals clashed for the third time. As with the previous duels, national lightweight champion, Joseph won, knocking out the former national champion in the fourth of their eight-round contest.Also in the lightweight division, Rilwan Oladosu defeated Prince Nwoye.Another grudge match on the night paired national featherweight champion, Waidi Usman and his predecessor, Dare Oyewole, who was knocked out by his opponent.In the light welterweight division, rocked by the last minute injury-induced cancellation of the West African title defence by Olaide Fijabi, rising star Rilwan Babatunde defeated Sikiru Shogbesan.The light heavyweight clash of the night ended in defeat to the debuting Emmanuel Igwe, who suffered a knockout against Kabiru Towolawi.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegramlast_img read more