MPBL: Munti faces unbeaten QC at home

first_imgMuntinlupa has picked up victories on the road since losing to Navotas in its first game while Quezon City is undefeated in four games to share the lead with the Tanduay-backed Batangas City Athletics.“They’re starting to play better while gaining more confidence,” said Quezon City coach Vis Valencia, referring to the host team.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSLillard, Anthony lead Blazers over ThunderSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutWinless Bataan and Imus collide at 7 p.m.STANDINGS: Batangas 4-0, QC 4-0, Muntinlupa 3-1, Valenzuela 3-1, Parañaque 2-2, Navotas 2-2, Caloocan 1-4, Imus 0-4, Bataan 0-4 Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC Denied of a home victory at the start of its campaign in the Maharlika Pilipinas Basketball League (MPBL)-Anta Rajah Cup, Muntinlupa faces another acid test when it battles unbeaten co-league leader Quezon City on Tuesday.Expect a full house crowd at Muntinlupa Sports Complex as the Angelis Resort-backed Cagers try to sustain the momentum of a three-game winning streak against the formidable Capitals supported by Royal Manila at 9 p.m.ADVERTISEMENT Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles02:11’Not just basketball’: Circumcisions, pageants at Philippine courts01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City Read Next LATEST STORIES 2 ‘newbie’ drug pushers fall in Lucena sting NEXT BLOCK ASIA 2.0 introduces GURUS AWARDS to recognize and reward industry influencers Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. MOST READ Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH Slow and steady hope for near-extinct Bangladesh tortoises Globe Business launches leading cloud-enabled and hardware-agnostic conferencing platform in PH John Lloyd Cruz a dashing guest at Vhong Navarro’s wedding AFP official booed out of forum Regine Arocha named NCAA Finals MVP View commentslast_img read more

NLEX to submit trade proposal involving Poy Erram, Paul Desiderio, Abu Tratter Monday

first_imgTS Kammuri to enter PAR possibly a day after SEA Games opening Lacson: 2019 budget delay due to P75-B House ‘insertion’ “As far back as the Asian Games, the Blackwater Elite have been discussing a trade with us involving Poy Erram,” the statement read.The Road Warriors also said that the trade shipping the rookies, which eventually became Desiderio and Tratter, to the Elite for Erram had already been discussed Sunday morning.“Both teams reached an understanding this morning that a trade involving Poy for our first round picks would be a mutually beneficial move for the teams and the players themselves.”ADVERTISEMENT Road Warriors head coach Yeng Guiao earlier said during the PBA Draft Sunday at Robinson’s Manila that their plan for Desiderio, the No. 4 overall pick, and Tratter, the No. 7 overall pick, is to trade them for a quality big man that will help bolster the roster.“We are immensely grateful for the outpouring of support we received after picking Paul Desiderio and Abu Tratter in the first round,” said the team in a statement Sunday night. “Paul and Abu are exceptional young men and any team would be happy to have them.”FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSUrgent reply from Philippine ‍football chiefAccording to the statement, Guiao took Desiderio and Tratter to dinner immediately after the draft to discuss the club’s plans.It was common knowledge that Guiao was impressed with Erram since he handled the big man during the Asian Games in Indonesia in August and the draft handed him the opportunity to bid for Blackwater’s center. MANILA, Philippines—NLEX is set to submit its trade proposal on Monday that will ship rookies Paul Desiderio and Abu Tratter to Blackwater for national team center Poy Erram.ADVERTISEMENT Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. LATEST STORIES Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles01:17DTI to cemetery goers: Buy candles and bottled waters in grocery stores, supermarkets02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting MOST READcenter_img SEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completion Paul Zamar headed to San Miguel Beermen Hotel management clarifies SEAG footballers’ kikiam breakfast issue SEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completion LOOK: Joyce Pring goes public with engagement to Juancho Triviño Is Luis Manzano planning to propose to Jessy Mendiola? Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next View commentslast_img read more

‘Do it again’: Djokovic confident of historic second Slam sweep

first_imgNovak Djokovic of Serbia reacts after winning a point against Rafael Nadal of Spain during their ATP Masters tournament final tennis match at the Foro Italico in Rome on May 19, 2019. (Photo by Tiziana FABI / AFP)Novak Djokovic believes that his 2016 achievement of holding all four Grand Slam titles at the same time is the perfect playbook for a repeat performance at Roland Garros as he tries to become just the second man to complete the feat.The world number one heads into the French Open with Wimbledon, the US Open and Australian Open titles already under his belt.ADVERTISEMENT However, Djokovic’s potential date with destiny would have appeared to be fantasy 12 months ago.In Paris in 2018, Djokovic, still recovering from elbow surgery, crashed to a shock quarter-final loss to world number 72 Marco Cecchinato from Italy.The defeat saw him slip out of the top 20 for the first time in over a decade and briefly had him contemplating skipping Wimbledon.That threat was soon retracted and he went on to win the next three majors, a performance which has put him on the brink of history.Victory in two weeks’ time would also move him halfway to emulating Laver’s feat of calendar Grand Slams in 1962 and 1969.ADVERTISEMENT Victory in the June 9 final in Paris would allow him to join Rod Laver as the only other man to hold all the four majors at the same time twice.“There is an extra motivation and incentive to win Roland Garros because of the opportunity to hold all four Slams, something I did three years ago,” said the 32-year-old on Friday.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSPalace wants Cayetano’s PHISGOC Foundation probed over corruption chargesSPORTSSingapore latest to raise issue on SEA Games food, logistics“That gives me obviously enough reason to believe I can do it again.”Old rivals Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal may have more career majors — 20 and 17 respectively to Djokovic’s 15 — but neither of them has managed even one private sweep, let alone two. View comments LATEST STORIES Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles02:44Djokovic wins Laureus Sportsman of Year Award00:59Sports venues to be ready in time for SEA Games02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss Two-day strike in Bicol fails to cripple transport GALLERY: Ateneo lights up another bonfire for UAAP Season 81 ‘Rebel attack’ no cause for concern-PNP, AFPcenter_img MOST READ Catholic schools seek legislated pay hike, too Ethel Booba twits Mocha over 2 toilets in one cubicle at SEA Games venue DA eyes importing ‘galunggong’ anew Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting Cayetano: Senate, Drilon to be blamed for SEA Games mess Duterte wants probe of SEA Games mess “I hold three Slams, am world number one. Obviously, it’s quite a different feeling approaching the tournament, with more confidence, and hopefully I can have a good two weeks,” he said.Despite his optimism, however, Djokovic prefers to pile the pressure of expectation onto the shoulders of 11-time Roland Garros champion Nadal.Nadal defeated the Serb in the Italian Open final last weekend, a performance which led Djokovic to anoint the Spaniard as the man to beat in Paris.“He’s the main favorite to win the title,” said Djokovic who remains just one of two men to have beaten the Spaniard on the Roland Garros clay in 14 years.“It wouldn’t be fair to pick anybody else but him as the main favorite, because he has won this tournament so many times.“He has lost two times in his career on Parisian clay. So lots of respect for him, obviously, as always.”Djokovic starts his bid for a second Roland Garros title and 16th major against Poland’s Hubert Hurkacz, the world number 43.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Nextlast_img read more