Avian flu blamed in another Indonesian death

first_imgMay 1, 2006 (CIDRAP News) – An Indonesian man whose death was attributed to H5N1 avian influenza will bring Indonesia’s death toll from the virus to 25, if his case is confirmed outside the country.The man reportedly had come into contact with his neighbor’s infected chickens in Tangerang, 25 miles west of Jakarta, according to a CNN.com story on Apr 28.Samples from the man tested positive for H5N1 in an Indonesian laboratory, the Associated Press (AP) reported. Confirmatory testing is under way at a World Health Organization (WHO) reference lab in Hong Kong.The WHO has confirmed 32 human cases, with 24 deaths, from H5N1 in Indonesia.Elsewhere, the Wall Street Journal Asia said on Apr 27 that local health officials in China had failed to report possible human cases of avian flu to the central government, according to an Apr 29 Reuters report. The same issue has been raised elsewhere.But the Chinese government denied the allegation. “The release of information has been timely, open and transparent,” Health Ministry spokesman Mao Qun’an told Reuters.In addition, Chinese officials involved with tracking and stemming the spread of the virus among birds have established a quarantine zone in the Qinghai region in north-central China, according to BBC News online. A wild goose found dead in the region tested positive for H5N1.The virus so far has not been found in domestic poultry around Qinghai, according to an AP story today.The region is a major stopover point for migratory birds, and thousands of migratory birds died in an H5N1 outbreak at the Qinghai Lake wildlife sanctuary last year. The H5N1 virus later found in two people in Turkey was virtually identical to bird samples obtained in Qinghai, according to a statement in the AP story attributed to the WHO.last_img read more

Medical service has new target

first_imgWHITTIER – A mobile health services unit that has visited area senior centers since 1998 has taken a detour. Presbyterian Intercommunity Hospital’s Care Force One program, which sponsored free health screenings for seniors locally, has refocused its services to target area schools and children, officials said Monday. “\ seem to have the greatest need in this area,” said Nancy Whyte, manager of community health at the Whittier hospital. “It just keeps coming up that they don’t have access to health care, and they have no physicians, no insurance. This is our way to be able to meet that need,” she added. For the past seven years, Care Force One operators have stationed the traveling health clinic outside of senior centers to offer various walk-in screenings. The services included high blood pressure, glucose and diabetes assessments, among other evaluations. The program drew about 70 visitors a month at some locations. Senior center officials said Monday they have worked to adapt now that the Care Force One unit no longer visits the centers. Ruri Pierre, community services supervisor for the Whittier senior center, said she is working to maintain free screenings for local seniors. She has been able to duplicate some Care Force One programs and recruited associates from other health organizations to offer the services at the Walnut Street center, Pierre said. “I haven’t had anyone come to me and say that they miss the program,” she added. Visitors to the Pico Rivera Senior Center have also adjusted to the transition, according to Lizet Olmos, a coordinator at the site. Olmos said her staff learned of Care Force One’s redirection with sufficient time to line up their own health services for local seniors. “It makes sense because there are individuals here (at the senior center) they are targeting that do have insurance and do have transportation,” Olmos said. According to Whyte, the change in focus from seniors to low-income children will allow hospital officials to expand from preventive health care to doing some primary care. Care Force One officials will now offer basic medical services – such as treating pink eye, for example – to preschool through middle school students. “Those are things that we couldn’t do before,” Whyte said, adding Care Force One will also offer free immunizations and health screenings. Under the revamped program, about 22 schools in four school districts will be served by Care Force One. Those districts include Whittier City School District, South Whittier School District and the Los Nietos School District, along with the “Plaza de la Raza” Head Start program, Whyte said. El Rancho Adult School will also receive Care Force One services. Intercommunity spends an estimated $200,000 annually to operate and maintain Care Force One, Whyte said. araceli.esparza@sgvn.com (562) 698-0955, Ext. 3024 AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORE‘Mame,’ ‘Hello, Dolly!’ composer Jerry Herman dies at 88160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more