Another avian flu case likely in Indonesia

first_imgDec 20, 2005 (CIDRAP News) – Laboratory tests in Indonesia indicated that an 8-year-old boy who died Dec 15 had avian influenza, making him potentially the country’s 11th victim of the disease, Indonesian officials reported yesterday.The local test results were awaiting confirmation by a World Health Organization (WHO) reference lab in Hong Kong, Hariadi Wibisono of the Indonesian health ministry told Bloomberg News.Indonesian officials also were still waiting for confirmation of local tests indicating that a 39-year-old man who died Dec 13 had avian flu.The boy came from the Utan Kayu area on the east side of Jakarta, where a case had previously occurred in a 16-year-old girl who died last month, the Bloomberg story said.In other developments, two more poultry outbreaks of H5 flu have been reported in Romania in the past few days. The country’s 18th and 19th outbreaks were reported in poultry in the towns of Marsilieni and Chichinetu, both in the southeast, according to Agence France-Presse (AFP) reports.More than 100,000 poultry in Romania have been destroyed to contain the virus since the first outbreak there was discovered on Oct 7, AFP reported.In neighboring Ukraine, agriculture officials said yesterday that a British lab had confirmed that avian flu outbreaks in 15 villages involved the H5N1 virus, according to a Bloomberg News story.Health officials have seized and destroyed more than 63,000 poultry since the virus was first detected in Ukraine, the story said.In South Korea, a newspaper said the government had found traces of avian flu in about 50 places during an investigation from Oct 1 to Dec 11, according to another Bloomberg report.The newspaper, called Dong-a Ilbo, said the government found evidence of avian flu in eight regions, including an H5 virus in the western city of Ansan. The report said the government has promised to disclose findings of any H5 or H7 virus, according to Bloomberg.In Ethiopia, tests indicate that hundreds of pigeons that died earlier this month succumbed to Newcastle disease, not avian flu, according to an AFP report published today.Hundreds of pigeons died in eastern Ethiopia and in the capital, Addis Ababa, earlier this month. Ethiopian veterinary officials and Egyptian experts tested 62 dead and sick pigeons and also some healthy migratory birds, officials told AFP.All the tests were negative for flu, but the dead birds had Newcastle disease, officials said.Migratory birds from the Rift Valley region were included in the testing, the story said. It is feared that birds escaping the European winter and flocking in the Rift Valley may spread avian flu to Africa.In Beijing today, a US official praised China for cooperating with the United States on research on avian flu, according to a Reuters report.”There is a definite willingness to be completely cooperative, be completely transparent and to exchange samples with the WHO and with other partners so we can track the genetic changes,” Elias Zerhouni, director of the US National Institutes of Health, told reporters.Zerhouni favorably contrasted China’s present cooperativeness with its lack of openness early in the SARS outbreak, Reuters reported.The WHO confirmed that China has agreed to share avian flu viral isolates from human patients, the story said. WHO spokeswoman Maria Cheng said a Chinese official presented a draft agreement to the WHO in Beijing today.A report by the Chinese news agency Xinhua said Chinese officials handed over viral isolates from human cases to Shigeru Omi of the WHO today.last_img read more

Researcher worried law change could result in children being attracted to ”vaping”

first_imgVaping law praised, criticisedOtago Daily Times 30 March 2017Family First Comment: “Allowing e-cigarettes to be sold in dairies, service stations and supermarkets would make them too freely available. Instead, sales should be restricted to specialist stores and pharmacies where users could be given expert advice on transitioning from cigarettes to ”vaping”. More detail was also needed on how e-cigarettes could be marketed, to prevent companies using ”provocative themes” likely to appeal to young people.”A University of Otago researcher is worried a law change could result in children being attracted to ”vaping”.Associate Health Minister Nicky Wagner yesterday announced nicotine e-cigarettes and e-liquid would be made legal, probably mid-way through next year.While some academics praised the announcement, Otago University’s Prof Janet Hoek is worried the law change goes too far.Allowing e-cigarettes to be sold in dairies, service stations and supermarkets would make them too freely available.Instead, sales should be restricted to specialist stores and pharmacies where users could be given expert advice on transitioning from cigarettes to ”vaping”, Prof Hoek said.More detail was also needed on how e-cigarettes could be marketed, to prevent companies using ”provocative themes” likely to appeal to young people.Other academics and Dunedin e-cigarette retailer Vapourium have welcomed the law change.They say it will help the Government achieve its aim of making New Zealand smokefree by 2025.Shops are at present allowed to sell e-cigarettes and e-liquid. This is made up of propylene glycol, glycerine, and flavouring and produces a vapour when heated. The vapour does not contain nicotine.Users are able to import nicotine e-liquid for personal use and some outlets, including Vapourium in Dunedin, have buyers’ clubs which allow them to legally sell it.Vaping is not prevented in most places.READ MORE: https://www.odt.co.nz/news/dunedin/vaping-law-praised-criticisedlast_img read more

TTFA files injunction to stop Tuesday’s EGM

first_imgTHE attorneys for former president of the T&T Football Association (TTFA) William Wallace and his team filed an injunction last Friday to stop Tuesday’s Emergency General Meeting (EGM) by the sports’ general membership from taking place.The injunction, filed with the Registrar of the High Court of Justice, comes two days after questions were raised about the legitimacy of the meeting by Osmond Downer, the T&T Football Referees Association (T&TFRA) vice-president, who also worked on the TTFA amended constitution in 2015, and a day after Robert Hadad, the chairman of the FIFA-appointed Normalisation Committee (NC) which also comprises attorney Judy Daniel (deputy chairman) and former banker Nigel Romano (member) wrote to the membership informing them that the meeting is on and all concerns that were raised have been resolved.Justice Carol Gobin, who ruled in the TTFA favour on August 13, that T&T High Court can hear the former TTFA executive officers’ appeal against the implementation of a NC, will hear the application during a Case Management conference tomorrow.In its application to the T&T High Court of Justice naming the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association as the claimant and FIFA as the defendant has asked the court for the following:1) taking any further steps to convene and/or conduct any meeting, on the 15th September 2020 or any other date, which purports to be an Extraordinary General Meeting of the Claimant;2) instructing and/or directing any person or persons to seek to withdraw the instant claim and/or in any way, manner of fashion from interfering with or seeking to undermine, the instant proceedings, except by way of lawful representations made by the Defendant’s duly appointed Attorneys-at-Law or other lawful intervention3) making use of and/or publication of the Claimant’s Official Logo, Letterhead, and Stamp/Seal; and 2. That the Defendant do pay the costs of this Application.The application has listed 20 grounds for the TTFA requests, while Williams has produced an affidavit with 20 documents which comprised among others, the membership signed petition letter dated August 28, the response from Hadad dated September 4, agreeing to convene the EGM on September 15 and the August 26 letter from general secretary of FIFA Fatma Samoura, addressed to Hadad, warning that TTFA would face sanctions if it did not withdraw the matter out of the T&T High Court by September 16.Wallace is claiming that at item 12 of his affidavit that the stakeholders meeting which the Shamfa Cudjoe, the Ministry of Sports and Community Development called on August 28, he believed was attended by Hadad, and the previous TTFA president David John-Williams as well as other persons, was to request and convene an Extraordinary General Meeting (EGM) of the TTFA.The affidavit gives a general account from the first day of FIFA’s takeover of TTFA on March 17 with all relevant documents and email correspondences between parties.Wallace and his three vice-presidents Joseph Sam Phillip, Clynt Taylor and Susan Joseph-Warrick and associates Keith Look Loy, the president of the T&T Super League and Anthony Harford, the president of the Northern Football Association, have always resisted FIFA’s decision to implement a Normalisation Committee to manage the TTFA after it enforced Article 8.2 of the FIFA Statutes which states: ‘Executive bodies of member associations may under exceptional circumstances be removed from office by the Council in consultation with the relevant confederation and replaced by a normalisation committee for a specific period.The TTFA is represented by attorneys Dr Emir Crowne, Matthew Gayle, Crystal Paul and Jason Jones, while FIFA’s legal team is Cherie Gopie and M. Hamel-Smith & Co. (Extracted from Triinidad Guardian)last_img read more