Post a comment In addition to adding Huawei to the entity list, Trump at the same time signed an executive order essentially banning the company in light of national security concerns that Huawei had close ties with the Chinese government. Huawei has repeatedly denied that charge. Following the blacklisting, Google locked Huawei out of its Android updates, though the Commerce Department granted it a three-month general license in late May to update existing devices. Likely as a result, Huawei at the end of May moved to trademark the name of its own operating system, “Hongmeng,” in Peru. Huawei and Google declined to comment.First published at 2:14 p.m. PT on July 29. Updated at 2:53 p.m. PT: Huawei declined to comment; July 30 at 1:26 p.m. PT: Google declined to comment Huawei ban: Full timeline on how and why its phones are under fire Huawei secretly helped build North Korea’s wireless network, leaked documents suggest Huawei 5G ban could spread further How 5G got tied up in a trade war between Trump and China Tags The Huawei ban 0 1:23 Huawei’s P30 looks like fantastic forbidden fruit Smart Home Mobile Smart Speakers & Displays 18 Photos Share your voice Huawei was reportedly working on a smart speaker with Google. Angela Lang/CNET Huawei and Google were co-developing a smart speaker before the Chinese tech giant was blacklisted and banned in the US, according to a new report. Work on the smart home product was halted in May, The Information said Monday, citing several sources. Huawei was blacklisted in May when it was added to the United States’ “entity list,” But US companies will be able to sell equipment to Huawei, Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross confirmed earlier this month, if they get licenses when there’s no threat to national security. Last week, US President Donald Trump reportedly agreed to award licensing deals between American companies and Chinese tech giant Huawei in a “timely” way. The Huawei smart speaker would have been powered by Google Assistant and been unveiled in September and sold in the US, The Information said. “We worked on this project with Google for a year and made a lot of progress. Then everything suddenly stopped,” a Huawei employee reportedly said. Google Huawei Now playing: Watch this: Huawei’s homegrown OS faces a steep uphill climb
00:00 /01:18 X commons.wikimedia.orgThe 287 (g) program enables the Harris County Sheriff’s Office to transfer custody of certain undocumented immigrants to Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE).The non-profit Texas Lyceum is a non-partisan group that focuses on identifying the next generation of top Texas leaders.A part of their 10th Annual Poll was released today and another part will be released tomorrow.Dave Shaw is with the group: “And we convene quarterly to discuss in a real civil discourse forum the pressing issues facing our state.” One of those issues is immigration.Dr. Josh Blank with UT Austin says results vary according to political affiliation and ethnicity. “And what we found was that, you know, among Texas adults, 54 percent say that it helps more than it hurts. Having said that, 67 percent of Texas Republicans favor the idea of building a wall between the U.S. and Mexico border. But, you know, it’s opposed by 85 percent of Democrats, 73 percent of black respondents, 75 percent of Hispanic respondents”, Blank said. The poll also looks at the Texas voter I.D. law. Blank says 74 percent of Texans think voters should have to present some type of I.D. when voting. “You know, 81 percent of white, 64 percent of black and 70 percent of Hispanic respondents all agree that, you know, presenting an I.D. to vote is not a bad idea. Now, obviously we’re not getting into what form of I.D.” To embed this piece of audio in your site, please use this code: Poll results are being released in stages. On Thursday, The Texas Lyceum looks at the presidential election. Listen Share
Kolkata: Veteran Bengali theatre personality Biplab Ketan Chakraborty died after prolonged illness early Friday. Chakraborty, who was suffering from liver diseases for a long time, died at his Dhakuria residence in South Kolkata at around 4 am, his family said. He was 72 and is survived by dancer wife Dipali Chakraborty and actress daughters Sudipta Chakraborty, Bidipta Chakraborty and dancer Bidisha Chakraborty. Earlier, he was treated in a private hospital. Also Read – Rain batters Kolkata, cripples normal life A prominent face in group theatre movement, Chakraborty had been involved with the ‘Chetana’ theatre group from the 70s till early 90s and essayed a pivotal role in ‘Marich Sangbad’, a popular production in Bengali theatre. Later he founded ‘Theatrewala’ group which had staged a widely acclaimed production ‘Kancher Dewal’. He was a popular face too on small screen earning acclaim in mega-serials like ‘Janmabhoomi.’ Chakraborty had also acted in Bengali films ‘Chander Bari’ and ‘Bhalobasar Anek Naam’.
Wednesday, September 21, 2016 Travelweek Group Posted by OTTAWA — The federal government is extending its leniency period for the Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) requirement until Nov. 9.Starting Nov. 10 Canadian citizens, including dual citizens, will need a valid Canadian passport to board their flight to Canada. All visa-exempt travellers (except U.S. citizens) will need an eTA to board their flight.Canada introduced the eTA requirement in March 2016 for visa-exempt foreign nationals travelling to Canada temporarily by air. eTA was a key commitment under the Canada U.S. Beyond the Border Action Plan to develop a common approach to pre-screening air travellers coming to either country.A six-month leniency period was put in place so that travellers who are unfamiliar with eTA could still board their flight to Canada. The leniency period was set to end on Sept. 29.“In consultation with airline partners, we’re taking further steps to minimize any travel disruptions,” said John McCallum, Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship. “We are extending the leniency period and doing another major information blitz in Canada and abroad to encourage affected travellers, including dual Canadian citizens, to plan ahead and get the necessary travel documents before they book a flight to Canada.”More news: Transat calls Groupe Mach’s latest offer “highly abusive, coercive and misleading”Canadian citizens, including dual citizens, cannot apply for an eTA and will need a valid Canadian passport to board their flight, starting Nov. 10. Travellers without a valid Canadian passport may experience delays.The government says applying for an eTA is a “simple online process” that costs $7. The government recommends travellers apply for an eTA before booking a flight to Canada.Here are a few quick facts about the program:eTA was implemented to improve the safety of Canadians by helping to identify those who are inadmissible and prevent them from travelling to Canada. eTAs also help facilitate travellers’ entry into Canada, since they have already been pre-screened under the eTA process.Close to two million eTAs have been issued since the application went live on Aug. 1, 2015. The Government of Canada website, Canada.ca/eTA, is the only valid site where travellers can apply for an eTA.An eTA is valid for five years or until the traveller’s passport expires, whichever comes first. Canadian citizens, including dual citizens, cannot apply for an eTA and will need a valid Canadian passport to board their flight, starting Nov. 10.Canadian permanent residents cannot apply for an eTA and, as usual, must show their valid permanent resident card when travelling to Canada.Citizens of the U.S. are exempt from the eTA requirement. U.S. lawful permanent residents need an eTA and must present a valid U.S. permanent resident card (Green Card) and a valid passport when they check-in for their flight to Canada. << Previous PostNext Post >> Travellers, airlines get a break with Canada’s new Nov. 9 passport, eTA deadline
Monday, July 17, 2017 Tags: Phoenix, Travel Alert Flights diverted from Phoenix airport as strong storms hit the city PHOENIX — Strong storm systems in Phoenix have caused major power outages, flooded part of a major highway and prompted air traffic controllers to divert some flights.The Arizona Republic reports that nearly 6,000 households lost power Saturday night in the greater Phoenix metropolitan area. It wasn’t immediately clear when power would be restored.The Arizona Department of Transportation says flooding briefly closed a section of eastbound Interstate 10.Transportation officials advised drivers to slow down or avoid driving altogether.The storms also prompted air traffic controllers to divert some flights bound for Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport to airports in Mesa, Tucson and Las Vegas.A National Weather Service meteorologist says more storm systems are expected Monday. << Previous PostNext Post >> Source: The Associated Press Share
TORONTO — Sandals has raised the bar once again in the destination wedding market with the unveiling of its newest Over-the-Water Serenity Chapel at Sandals Ochi Beach Resort.Spanning 450 square feet, the new chapel in Ocho Rios accommodates 40 guests and features 360-degree, panoramic water views as well as a glass floor aisle that allows couples to truly walk on water on their special day.Plus, the bridal couple can decide on delicate décor details as part of Sandals’ Aisle to Isle wedding program.With the new chapel in Ocho Rios, Sandals now boasts a total of three Over-the-Water Chapels in its entire portfolio.To learn more call Inside Sales at 1-800-545-8283. Travelweek Group Tuesday, January 8, 2019 Posted by Tags: Ocho Rios, Openings & Renovations, Romance & Weddings, Sandals Resorts Share Sandals debuts new Over-the-Water wedding chapel in Ocho Rios << Previous PostNext Post >>